Diarrhea in babies & toddlers is definitely make parents worried as it can make the child feel tired and irritable. Kids don’t prefer to eat during diarrhea, but it’s important to feed them to prevent dehydration. Many parents are confused about what to feed the baby during diarrhea. Don’t worry, this post helps you to feed your child well when he has diarrhea and helps to recover quickly.
- Increase in frequency: two times your baby’s normal pattern.
- The stools become looser, watery, mucusy, green or runner than usual.
For more information on the further symptoms check here:
- baby is younger than 3 months
- If your baby is over 3 months, call the doctor if the diarrhea is not improving after 24 hours
- cannot keep any food down
- vomiting or has fever
- blood in stool
- signs of dehydration
- Intestinal infections
- Food allergy
- Food intolerance
- Too much juice intake
- For baby’s younger than 6 months, only breastfeeding or formula feeding is recommended during the episode of diarrhea.
- For babies above 6 months, Give small and frequent meals.Prefer easily digestible foods.
- Don’t force the baby to eat, instead try to offer the foods he prefers.
- Offer your baby fruits rich in potassium.
- After every bout of loose motion, feed breastmilk/formula or offer a few teaspoons of drinks like water, buttermilk etc
- Give your toddler ORS (Oral Re-hydration Solution) if your pediatrician prescribed the same.
Earlier it was suggested to feed your baby/toddler only with the classic BRAT diet (Banana, Rice, Apple Sauce, Toast) during diarrhea , but now the pediatricians are advised to continue including solids preferably light and easily digestible foods. Let’s get on to check the list of foods and recipes can be given during diarrhea.
Bookmark this page for future reference as i will be updating this post on a regular basis. Click on each thumbnail image given below for the recipes. Choose recipes according to your baby’s age which is mentioned in the brackets along with recipe heading. Please refer to the notes section given at the end of post for the key points to remember before offering diarrhea foods to your baby.
Drinks or Beverages:
Curd rice is an another comforting meal option during the episode of diarrhea, it’s most of the kids favorite too. Good bacteria in curd helps fighting the diarrhea. Make sure the curd is not sour. Check out curd rice recipe here (make it without milk, butter and tempering):
Arrow root is an old fashioned remedy for diarrhea and believed to reduce diarrhea. Make the porridge with arrow root powder as similar to rice porridge. Will post the recipe soon.
Foods to avoid during diarrhea:
- Dairy Products except curd and butter milk
- Sweetened drinks or carbonated drinks like soda
- All fruit juices
- Some Fruits ( peaches, pears, prunes, plums)
- Dry fruits and nuts
- High fiber foods
- Raw salads and sprouts
- Spicy food
- The information provided here are guidelines and doesn’t replace medical advice.
- Check with your doctor immediately if your baby has diarrhea and dehydration, as dehydration leads to dangerous effects. Doctor may help you to determine the cause of the problem and treat it.
- Make sure you have introduced each food separate and checked for allergies.
- Always check with your pediatrician before giving any food.