Beetroot is a bright red, sweet vegetable that is packed with nutrients. It’s high in fiber, Vitamin C & calcium which are vital for baby’s development and preventing anemia in babies and toddlers.
Beetroot can be given in various ways to your baby. Here are some ways to include beetroots in your baby’s diet with more information about the nutritional benefits of beetroots, how and when to introduce beetroot to baby etc.
When can I introduce Beetroot to my baby?
Beetroot can be given to babies from 7 months after introducing a few vegetables, fruits, rice, etc. Wash, peel the skin and steam the beetroot for baby food. You can also peel the skin off from beetroot after cooking them. But make sure to peel the skin of beetroot as it is not easily digestible for babies.
Start with plain beetroot puree when you introduce beetroot to your baby. Start with 1-2 tsp and increase the quantity slowly if your baby is having no tummy troubles or allergies. Don’t panic if you see red color in your baby’s poop after introducing beetroot; it’s completely normal.
Gradually you can also combine with other vegetables like carrot, potato, peas, sweet potato, lentils, rice, etc. After eight months you can include sliced, steam cooked soft beetroot sticks as finger food to babies.
How to select and store Beetroot for Baby Food
- Choose fresh beetroots that are tender, small or medium in size with unblemished skin and no cracks. Big sized beetroot doesn’t taste good and less flavor, so better avoid buying them.
- Store the beetroot in the refrigerator after buying them and consume them within a week from buying.
Nutrients in Beetroot
Here is the nutrition information of 1/2 cup cooked beetroot(85 g)
* Source – USDA
Health Benefits of Beetroot for Babies and Toddlers
- Beetroots are high in Vitamin C and potassium which can help to build the baby’s immune system.
- Iron content in beetroot prevents anemia in babies and kids.
- Beetroots are high in fiber which is good for digestive health and treats constipation in babies.
- Carotenoids content in beetroot help in hair nourishment and growth.
- Beetroot aids in improving blood circulation in the brain and body which encourages healthy brain function in babies.
Beetroot Recipes for Baby & Toddler
So How do you give beetroots to your baby? Share with us in the comment sections below