I love pulaos as they are not only easy to make but deliciously healthy! Beetroot pulao is no exception, it's colorful and appealing too. It's also one of the best way to include healthy beetroots in our diet. If your toddler/kid doesn't like taste of beetroot then you should try this beetroot pulao! As even beetroot haters might like this pulao:) This Beetroot pulao can be given (without salt) to babies from 10 months after your baby starts eating with the family.
Beetroot Pulao Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids | Rice Varieties
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Beetroots - ¾ cup finely chopped
- Green Peas - 4 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 1 small sized
- Green chillies - 1 splitted
- Mint leaves -a handful
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - ½ tsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 1.5 tbsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cinnamon - ¼ inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamom - 1
- Measure 1cup of rice in a measuring cup and wash the rice twice. Soak it in water for 20 to 30 minutes. Set aside. Wash and Chop beetroots, mint leaves and coriander leaves. Chop the onions length wise and finely chop tomatoes. Keep everything ready.
- Heat a small pressure cooker with ghee and add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom. Saute it for 2 minutes . Add onions and give a quick stir.
- Now add ginger garlic paste. Saute them nicely until golden brown. Once the onions becomes golden brown and the raw smell of ginger garlic paste leaves, add tomatoes.
- Fry them until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves. Then add the coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chillies. Mix them together and saute them for 3 minutes. Now add chopped beetroots & green peas.Mix well.
- Now Add red chilli powder and garam masala powder. Saute for two minutes or until the masalas gets blended with the veggies. Then add the soaked rice to the gravy along with salt and fry them for a minute.
- Add required amount of water and bring it to a boil.
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for two whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker, add lemon juice and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Normal cooking rice also can be used to prepare this beetroot pulao.
- This beetroot pulao can be prepared with coconut milk too.
- Skip salt & green chilli for small babies.
- Adjust spices according to your preference.
- You can skip green peas and make it with Beetroots alone.
- You could also use grated beetroots instead of chopped pieces,
- If you are baby/toddler won't prefer whole rice, increase the water amount while cooking and give it in mashed form. Also take care to remove the whole spices while feeding.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.