Beetroot Khichdi - Easy, quick, one-pot, healthy meal with moong dal and Beetroot as main ingredients. Beetroot is a nutrient-rich vegetable packed with iron, the khichdi prepared with this humble vegetable makes a wholesome and delicious meal for babies.
The preparation of beetroot khichdi is very easy, and the method is similar to the usual moong dal khichdi plus the addition of Beetroot. This beetroot khichdi can be given to babies from 8 months after introducing rice, moong dal, and Beetroot separately.
Check out more khichdi recipes for babies and kids.
Beetroot Khichdi Recipe for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
- Rice - 2 tbsp
- Moong dal- 1 tbsp
- Beetroot - 2 tbsp chopped or grated
- Homemade Ghee - 1 Tsp
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Cumin seeds- 1/4 Tsp
- Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
- Hing/Asafoetida - a pinch
- Salt - as needed salt is not recommended for babies under one year of age
- Water - 1 cup
- Wash beetroot in running water well. Finely chop them or grate it. Wash rice and moong dal together and soak it in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it crackle.
- Then add chopped garlic. Give a quick stir. Now add chopped beetroot. Toss it for a minute.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt at this stage. Drain the water from soaked rice and dal and add it. Mix well.
- Now add 1 cup of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles.
- Open the cooker once the pressure released. Mash the khichdi well with your hands or with a masher and feed your baby warm.
Serve the beetroot khichdi plain or with curd. Tastes delicious!
- I used moong dal for making this khichdi. But it tastes good with Toor dal too.
- For older kids, add red chili powder or green chili for a spicy version.
- You could add a handful of green peas to this khichdi while cooking rice and dal.
- Make sure to introduce everything separately before you try this khichdi.
- Always serve the khichdi hot or warm. Otherwise, it will become dry.
- Any regular cooking rice can be used to prepare this khichdi.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.