Carrot Khichdi – Easy and quick lunch recipe for babies and toddlers made with rice, lentils, and carrot. I always try various versions of khichdi recipes with different combinations of lentils, vegetables, and spices. This is another simple, wholesome khichdi recipe with the addition of carrots.
Carrot khichdi is easy to prepare and fits perfectly into any meal, be it lunch or dinner for your baby. It is ideal for babies from 6 months after introducing rice, moong dal and carrot separately. Check out other khichdi recipes for babies and toddlers
Carrot Khichdi Recipe for Babies & Toddlers
- Rice - 2 tbsp
- Moong Dal - 2 tbsp
- Garlic -1
- cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/8 tsp
- Salt - as required for babies above one year
- Carrots - 1/4 cup grated
- water - 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 Tsp
- Chop garlic. Wash carrots thoroughly. Peel, grate and keep it ready. Wash rice and moong dal together and soak it in warm water for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker with two tsp of ghee. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Then add chopped garlic. Saute for a minute. Now add grated carrot.
- Fry carrots for a minute. At this stage, add in turmeric powder and salt (for babies above one year). Then add soaked rice & moong dal mix well. Give a quick stir.
- Add one cup of water and mix well. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker, mash it well with a masher until soft. Add in few drops of ghee, mix and serve. You can also grind in the blender if you prefer.
Here is the video of how to make carrot khichdi for baby
- You can also hing/asafoetida to the khichdi if you prefer.
- You can replace moong dal with masoor dal or toor dal.
- Always serve carrot khichdi warm. Otherwise, it will become dry.
- Any regular cooking rice can be used to prepare this rice.
- Skip salt for babies below one year.
- Adjust water quantity according to the consistency your baby prefers. If you like it thinner, add 1.25 cups of water.
- Make sure to introduce everything separately before you try this khichdi.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.