Urad Dal Khichdi/ Gram Dal Khichdi/Ulundhu Khichdi: Easy and quick lunch recipe for babies and toddlers made with rice and urad dal/gram dal. Urad dal is a healthy lentil which helps in weight gain in babies and kids.
I have already shared a version of urad dal rice. This urad dal khichdi recipe is more easy with fewer ingredients & less quantity; you can make for your baby or toddler alone. Its ideal for babies from 8 months after introducing rice, and urad dal separately.
Check out other urad dal recipes for babies and toddlers:
Urad Dal Khichdi Recipe for Babies & Toddlers
- Rice - 2 tbsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - ¼ tsp
- Garlic -1
- Salt - as required
- Grated Coconut- 2 tsp optional
- water - 1 cup
- Ghee/Sesame Oil - ¼ Tsp
- Wash rice and urad dal together and soak it in warm water for 30 minutes to one hour. Then in a pressure cooker add the soaked rice and urad dal after draining the water.
- Then add cumin seeds followed by garlic.
- Now add grated coconut(optional) and salt (for babies above one year).
- Add one cup of water and mix well. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker, mash it well with a masher until soft. You can also grind in the blender if you prefer.
Here is the video of how to make urad dal khichdi for baby and Toddlers
- Adding coconut is optional. But it gives a nice flavor and taste to the khichdi.
- Always serve urad dal khichdi warm. Otherwise, it will become dry.
- Any regular cooking rice can be used to prepare this khichdi.
- Skip salt for babies below one year.
- Adjust water quantity according to the consistency your baby prefers.
- Make sure to introduce everything separately before you try this khichdi.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.