I am back again with a halwa recipe! It’s iron rich beetroot dates halwa this time. It can be given to Babies from 8 months after you introduced beetroot & dates to your baby separately. Check out other halwa recipes i have posted so far here: wheat halwa, Banana Halwa, Ragi Halwa.
- Rich in iron – prevents anemia
- Loaded with nutrients, minerals & proteins – helps baby’s growth
- Fights constipation
- Good for acidity & acid reflex
- Known to control diarrhea & fever
Let’s check how to make this healthy beetroot dates halwa for babies & toddlers.
Beetroot Dates Halwa for Babies & Toddlers | Baby Food
- Beetroot - 1 medium sized
- Dates - 10 to 12 nos
- Homemade Ghee - 2 tsp
- Water - as needed
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash and peel the beetroot with a peeler. Chop them into cubes.
- Steam or pressure cook the beetroots using a steamer or pressure cooker with required water. In the meantime, remove the seeds from dates. Take the dates in a vessel and cover cook with water till it immersed level. Cook it for 5 minutes until it becomes soft.
- Once the beetroots are cooked, grind them together with dates. For both steaming & blending i use
- Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the beetroot dates puree to it. Mix well. Then cook it further for 5 to 10 minutes with occasional stirring. Switch off the flame when it becomes thick & the halwa leaves out of the pan.
- For small babies, give only 2 to 3 tsp. Add formula or breastmilk to make it running consistency.
- Always prepare and give this halwa small amount as overdosing iron is not good.
- Instead of dates jaggery can be used.
- For variation, add small amount of milk for older babies.
- Add a tsp of sugar to the halwa if you want more sweetness and texture.
- Instead of pureeing the beetroots, u can use grated beetroots.
- Plus or minus no of dates based on it’s sweetness.
- Add more ghee if making this halwa for adults.
- Introduce this halwa to your baby after introducing dates & beetroots separate.
- Generally beetroot doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Sugar is not recommended for babies until 1 year.