I am back again with a halwa recipe! Its iron-rich beetroot dates halwa this time. It can be given to babies from 8 months after you introduce beetroot & dates to your baby separately. Check out other halwa recipes I have posted here: wheat halwa, Banana Halwa, Ragi Halwa.
Dates for Baby:
- Rich in iron - prevents anemia.
- Loaded with nutrients, minerals & proteins - it helps a baby's growth
- Fights constipation
- Good for acidity & acid reflex
- Known to control diarrhea & fever
How to introduce dates to a baby?
When introducing dates, introduce soft mashed tiny cut dates pieces as finger food to the baby. Follow three days rule. If your baby does not react to it, continue with dates. You can give 2 to 3 dates per day. You could add a small amount of dates syrup to the baby food as a sweetener if required.
Beetroot Dates Halwa for Babies & Toddlers | Baby Food
- Beetroot - 1 medium-sized
- Dates - 10 to 12 nos
- Homemade Ghee - 2 tsp
- Water - as needed
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash and peel the beetroot with a peeler. Chop them into cubes.
- Steam or pressure cook the beetroots using a steamer or pressure cooker with required water. In the meantime, remove the seeds from dates. Take the dates in a vessel and add hot water till it immersed level. Keep it undisturbed for 5 minutes until it becomes soft.
- Once the beetroots are cooked, grind them together with dates. For both steaming & blending, I use Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the beetroot dates puree to it. Mix well. Then cook it further for 5 to 10 minutes with occasional stirring. Switch off the flame when it becomes thick & the halwa leaves out of the pan.
- For small babies, give only 2 to 3 tsp. Add formula or breastmilk to make it run consistently.
- Always prepare and give this halwa a small amount to your baby, as overdosing on iron is not good.
- Instead of dates, jaggery can be used for babies above one year.
- Add a small amount of milk for babies older than one year for variation.
- Add a tablespoon of sugar to the halwa if you want more sweetness and texture.
- Instead of pureeing the beetroots, you can use grated beetroots.
- Adjust the number of dates based on its sweetness.
- Add more ghee if making this halwa for adults.
- Introduce this halwa to your baby after introducing dates & beetroots separately.
- Generally, beetroot doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Sugar is not recommended for babies until one year.