Dates/Khajur is a sweet dry fruit from the date palm tree. Dates are an excellent replacement for sugar, the versatile dry fruit is incredibly delicious and makes excellent food for babies and kids as it is packed with fiber, antioxidants, and other essential minerals.
Here are some recipes to add dates in your kid’s menu. Read more to know information about the nutritional benefits of dates, how and when to introduce dates to the baby etc.
When can I introduce Dates to my baby?
Dates can be given to babies from 6 months after introducing rice, basic vegetables & fruits. When introducing dates to your baby, de-seed, soak 1-2 dates in water, grind it to make a puree. Give it as a separate puree or add it to any baby food. Follow three days rule. If your baby does not have any allergies, continue with dates.
You can give 2 to 3 dates per day at the maximum. You could also add a 1-2 tsp of homemade dry dates powder or dates syrup to the baby food as a sweetener if needed. Always serve dates in moderation to your kids!
How to select and store Dates for Baby Food
- Select soft dates with smooth and glossy skin. Make sure the dates are not sugar-coated.
- Medjool and Deljet Noor are the popular soft varieties of dates to choose for baby food.
- Dates are available with seed and without seed. You can choose the type as per your convenience.
- You can buy dates from grocery stores or online stores like Amazon. Store in an airtight container after buying. Place it in the refrigerator, and it stays good for 6-8 months.
- If you are buying dry dates, make sure to opt for a good brand.
Nutrients in Dates
Here is the nutrition information of dates based on Medjool dates (100 g)
Health Benefits of Dates for Babies and Toddlers
- Dates are packed with essential nutrients, minerals & proteins which ensures baby’s growth and development.
- Contains a significant amount of iron hence prevents the child from iron deficiency or anemia.
- Excellent natural sweetener and the natural sugars in dates are a high energy booster for kids.
- Good source of dietary fiber and fights constipation in children.
- Improves digestion and also beneficial for acidity & acid reflex in kids.
- Strengthen the bone and muscles in growing kids as dates are packed with calcium, magnesium, zinc, and other vital minerals.
- Improves heart health in children if dates are taken regularly.
- Antioxidants in dates help fighting diseases in babies and kids.
Dates Recipes for Babies Toddlers, and Kids
Here are some recipes to incorporate the nutritious dates in your child’s menu.
Iron-rich halwa recipe made with beetroots, dates and no sugar! It is a simple and super delicious dessert for babies and growing kids. Do try for your little ones and family to believe it!
Quick and easy energy balls made with dates and almonds. Dates almond balls are rich in nutrients and can be served as a snack in between meals to keep your kid energetic! Even it’s ideal for travel too.
A natural sweetener for baby food made with dry dates. It can be a sweetener for your baby food or sweeten the desserts, cookies, or cake with it instead of sugar!
Smooth, quick, no sugar energy balls made with dates and other mixes of dry fruits and nuts. Dry fruits ladoos are best suited as a healthy snack in between meals, and it helps to stay kids energetic throughout the day. This ladoos are naturally sweet and chewable. Hence it is ideal for babies once they started chewing the food well.
Date syrup is readily available in markets, but homemade ones are good & pure, which also gives a great self-satisfaction of making it at home. It can be a sweetener for baby/toddler porridge’s, kheer, purees, etc
Carrot porridge is a tasty porridge prepared with carrots, dates and other dry fruits and nuts! This porridge has a naturally sweet taste from carrots, and dates hence don’t require any additional sweetener.
This wheat halwa is prepared with whole wheat flour, dates and apple. It is wholesome and tasty that your baby will relish it!
Poha kheer is a quick kheer made with poha aka flattened rice, dates, nuts, other dry fruits and coconut milk/cow’s milk or formula. It can be served as a dessert or as a quick evening snack for babies from 8 months.
Fresh and healthy milkshake with dates, dry fruits, and nuts. The tasty and addictive milkshake is one of the best weight gaining recipes for kids as it has all the essential nutrients required. It is so filling, and hence it can be given as a breakfast when your child fusses about food.
Creamy, healthy, energizing milkshake with dates and banana. Dates banana milkshake gives instant energy, very filling and it tastes so good that your little one empties the milkshake in no time.
Easy muffins recipe made with dry dates powder, whole wheat flour, and no eggs! These are whole wheat muffins with dry dates powder as a sugar substitute! Try and enjoy this healthy sugar-free muffin for yourself and the kids at home.
Easy and healthy rice variety made with rice, dates, dry fruits, and nuts. This dry fruits rice is a special rice recipe which can be served as a snack/dessert or even as a meal for toddlers and kids. It tastes so good and unique!
Dates almond milkshake is a fresh, creamy, and refreshing milkshake for toddlers and kids! There is no need for any sweetener in the milkshake as the sweetness from dates is sufficient.
Try these delicious dates recipes for babies & kids and add the nutritious dates in your child’s’ menu!