Egg-less whole wheat dates walnut cake Recipe – Tasty and healthy cake recipe made with no sugar, whole wheat flour, dates, walnuts and no eggs! I always wanted to try cake with dates from long , this recipe caught my attention and I baked it on the weekend!
This whole wheat egg-less dates cake turned out so good and no one would believe it has no sugar added in it.Its has a soft nice texture, delicious in taste, super healthy and what not!!! This dates cake can be given to toddlers after one year. Check out other healthy cake recipes for toddlers and kids here.
I would like to let you all know that we are celebrating the third blog anniversary of GKFOODIARY with this special cake:) Three years of blogging. WOW! I could not believe that its been three years already, Time flies so fast ! Big Thanks to all my readers for your support and encouragement through comments, messages, emails, following and liking my post/pictures.
- Whole Wheat Flour -1 cup
- Pitted Dates - 20
- Broken Walnuts - ¼ cup
- Milk - 1.25 cups
- Baking Soda - 1 tsp
- Baking Powder - ½ tsp
- Olive oil/sunflower oil/odorless oil- ½ cup
- Measure and take pitted dates in a bowl. Add in 1.25 cups of milk to it. Soak it for at least 3 hours or until the dates is soft. Soaking time vary depends on the type of dates used.
- Once the dates is soft, add the soaked dates along with milk to a blender. Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Measure ¼ cup of broken walnuts and dust with 1 tbsp of whole wheat flour. Set aside.
- Sieve the whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda. Keep it ready. Also preheat the oven to 180 deg C for 10 minutes.
- Take the ground dates paste in a mixing bowl and add in ½ cup of oil. Stir it well with a hand whisk until the oil is mixed evenly.
- Once all the wet ingredients are mixed well, add the sieved whole wheat flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Gently fold everything well for 10-15 seconds. Don't over mix. The final mixture should be slightly thick and at pouring consistency. Adjust with milk to get the desired consistency if required.
- Finally add in broken walnuts and give a quick mix. Grease a cake pan with oil. Pour the mixture to the cake tin and gently tape it. Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg C for 35 -40 minutes (baking time depends on the size of the cake pan and oven) at 180° Celsius till tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool it down completely and cut into pieces!
- Soaking time vary depends on the type of dates used.
- Add few tbsp of sugar if you feel the dates are not sweet enough. If you use good quality sweet taste, sugar is not required at all.
- If the final mixture is too thick after adding wheat flour mix, add few tbsp of milk to get the desired consistency.
- Don’t over mix after adding the dry ingredients, just fold them for 10-15 seconds.
- This dates cake stays well for 4 days at room temperature and keeps good for a week if stored in refrigerator.
- You could use any nuts of your choice instead of walnuts.
- Mixing and measurements are most important for the perfect cake.