Dates Puree/ Dates Paste For Babies - Date is a healthy dry fruit, packed with essential minerals and nutrients, therefore its a superfood for babies and growing children. Also, the natural sweetness in dates makes a perfect sweetener for baby food and a healthy alternative to sugar. I have already shared a date syrup recipe. This date paste is another simple sweetener that you can make with dates and comes handy when making baby food!
Read more here on the health benefits of dates and how to introduce dates to your baby
Points to be considered while preparing Date Paste
- Soaking time depends on the type of dates used. You can soak it overnight or 10 mins in warm/hot water!
- Use soft dates for best results preferably Medjool variety
- Use 1 cup of dates if you want to prepare in larger quantities!
How long can the Date paste be stored?
Date paste stays suitable for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator or freezes up to 6 months in the freezer!
How much amount of Date Paste can be given to Babies?
- You could give 1-2 tsp of date paste as a separate puree for your baby or add this date paste to any baby food. Gradually increase the quantity as the baby grows!
- Follow three days rule. If your baby does not have any allergies, continue with dates paste
What are the other ways to consume this Date Paste For Babies and Toddlers?
- Can be a sweetener for baby/toddler porridges, purees, etc
- Use as a spread for dosas, pancakes, Chapati/roti or bread
- Bake your cake with it instead of sugar
- Replace Sugar with date paste in any dessert!
Now let's get on to check how to make date paste for babies, toddlers, and kids.
Date Paste Recipe For Babies and Toddlers | Sweetener for baby food
- Dates - 5 big ones
- Water - 2 tbsp
- Take dates in a bowl and deseed them. Discard the seeds.
- Add hot or warm water to the pitted dates till it immersed level. Soak the dates in water for 5 to 10 mins. Alternatively, you can also soak the dates overnight in water.
- When the dates are soft enough to mash/grind, transfer to a blender along with soaked water. Grind it to a smooth paste. Don't add all the soaked water at once. Add little by little. The date paste should be smooth and thick.
- Adding more water while blending makes the paste watery, and it won't stay suitable for a long time.
- Soaking time purely depends on the date used; some types of dates need more soaking.
- Keep the date paste refrigerated and consume within2-3 weeks, use a clean, dry spoon every-time while using.
- Giving this date paste too often makes the baby as a sweet tooth. Hence its always recommended using this date in moderation.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.