Vegetables dosa is a soft, healthy, colorful, nutrient rich dosa you can make for your baby or toddler. It is one of the best way to include vegetables in your baby's diet and make a wholesome meal for your baby. Serve this vegetables dosa along with curd, dal or mildly spiced sambar, your fussy toddler can't say No to it.
Vegetables Dosa Recipe for Babies & Toddlers | Pink Dosa for babies |Baby Food
- Idli Dosa Batter - 3 cups
- Chopped vegetables* - 3/4 cup
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Water - as needed to steam the vegetables
- Homemade ghee - as required for making dosas
* I used carrot, beetroot & potato
- Prepare idli dosa batter using Mixie or grinder. Keep it ready.
- Wash carrot, beetroot and potato in running water well. Then peel the skin off from carrot, beetroot & potato with a peeler. Then chop them into equal size small cubes.
- Steam the chopped vegetable cubes in a steamer for 15 minutes. I have used Philips avent combined steamer and blender for both steaming and blending. Alternatively you can steam it with Idli steamer plate by adding a cup of water or pressure cook the vegetables together with a cup of water for 3 whistles. Once the vegetables are steamed, blend it to make a puree.
- Now add the blended vegetables puree to the dosa batter along with cumin seeds. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat a dosa tawa. Once its hot, pour a laddle of batter to it. Keep the flame medium to low. Spread a liitle to form a small circle. Then sprinkle ghee over it. Then cook covered with a lid for 3 minutes or until done. Once the dosa gets cooked, remove from the tawa. Repeat the process for remaining batter.
- This vegetables dosa will be soft with above mentioned method. If you want to make crispy dosas, add vegetable juice instead of puree.
- You could also add mashed vegetables instead of puree.
- This dosas will turn sticky if more vegetable puree & less Dosa batter is used. In that case add more dosa batter to the mix and make dosas.
- For older babies, you could also add a pinch of red chilli powder, 1 tbsp of grated coconut to the dosa batter while making this dosa.
- Make sure the dosa is cooked well and it's soft. Keep the flame low to medium and prefer slow cooking for making this vegetables dosa.
- When you give this vegetables dosa for small babies, just mix with warm water and feed which ensures easier digestion and avoid choking.
- Add the vegetables of your choice and baby's preference. Make sure you have introduced the veggies separate and your baby is not allergic to them.
- Homemade ghee is recommended for baby's food rather than store bought ones.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing new food to your baby.