Broccoli Khichdi: Easy, quick, one pot, healthy meal with lentils and broccoli as main ingredients. Broccoli is one nutritious vegetable packed with iron, this broccoli khichid is one of the perfect way to include them in your kids meals. I have tried this recipe from my vegetables dal khichid replacing vegetables with broccoli.
This broccoli khichdi can be given to babies from 10 months after introducing rice, lentils and broccoli separately. You can also try these other healthy khichid recipes for babies and kids.
Broccoli Khichdi Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Rice - ½ cup
- Moong dal/Toor Dal - ½ cup
- Big Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Green chilli - 1
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Broccoli florets- 1 cup
- Turmeric powder -⅛ tsp
- Potato - 1 small
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Water - 3.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Asafoetida - ⅛ tsp
- Wash broccoli in running water well. Take florets from broccoli. Boil water in a sauce pan with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Switch off the flame and add broccoli florets to it. Keep it undisturbed for 5 minutes. Then drain the water and keep it ready. Chop potato, onions, garlic, green chili and tomatoes. Keep it ready.
- Wash rice and moong dal together and soak it in water for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain the water from soaked rice and dal, add chopped potatoes, ⅛ teaspoon of turmeric powder, required salt and 4 cups of water. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles. Set aside.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan with ghee & oil. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it crackle. Then add chopped.green chilies and garlic. Give a quick stir. Now add onions. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent , add tomatoes. Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and become mushy. In the meantime, add broccoli florets into a mixer/food processor and mice it for 2-3 seconds. Dont grind it to a smooth paste.
- Now add minced broccoli and little salt. Mix it well and cook it in low medium flame for 5 minuets or until the broccoli is cooked. Switch off the flame once done.
- Now open the cooker, add broccoli onion tomato mixture to the cooked rice and dal. Mix it gently till it incorporated well. Garnish with coriander leaves and top with ghee if required.
- Dont grind the broccoli to a smooth paste. Just mince it for few seconds.
- I used moong dal for making this khichdi. But it tastes good with toor dal too.
- For older kids, add red chili powder and garam masala for spicy version.
- You could add other vegetables like carrot or peas to this khichdi while pressure cooking rice and dal.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate before you try this khichdi.
- Always serve the khichdi hot or warm. Otherwise it will become dry.
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this khichdi.
- For ½ cup of rice and ½ cup of moong dal , 3.5 cups of water is sufficient with prior soaking of rice and dal for 20 minutes. If you want it too mushy add 4 cups of water.
- Skip green chilli for small babies.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.