Spinach Khichdi: Easy, quick, one nutritious pot meal made with a pressure cooker. Its ideal for babies from 10 months after introducing rice, toor dal and spinach separately. It's effortless to make when you pressed for time but makes a healthy wholesome meal for your baby & whole family as well. Do check out other healthy moong dal Khichdi (with veggies) & spinach rice for babies from my archive.
Spinach Khichdi Recipe for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
- Rice - 1/2 cup
- Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
- Spinach - 2 cups chopped
- Big Onion - 1 small sized
- Green chilli - 1/2 optional
- Ginger - 1/2 inch
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp optional
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Hing - a generous pinch
- Lemon juice- 1 Tsp
- Water - 4 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Slice onions chopped ginger and garlic finely. Wash and roughly chop spinach into bite-size pieces. Slit green chilies. Set aside.
- Wash rice and toor dal together and soak it in warm water for 20 minutes.
- In 1/2 tsp of ghee, fry the spinach and green chili together until it shrinks. Switch off the flame once done.
- Grind spinach and green chili together to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee. Add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add onions and chopped ginger and garlic. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions become transparent, Add spinach puree, turmeric powder, pepper powder, garam masala powder(if using) and required salt. Give a quick stir.
- Then add soaked rice & toor dal mix well. Give a quick stir.
- Add required water and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker, add lemon juice and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly, top with ghee if required.
- You could make this spinach dal khichdi with your choice of vegetables too.
- You can replace toor dal with moong dal.
- Make sure to introduce everything separately before you try this khichdi.
- Always serve spinach khichdi hot or warm. Otherwise, it will become dry.
- Any regular cooking rice can be used to prepare this rice.
- Skip salt for babies below one year.
- For 1 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of toor dal, 4 cups of water are sufficient with the prior soaking of rice and dal for 20 minutes. Add 5 cups of water if you want it too mushy.
- Skip green chili, garam masala, and ginger for small babies if they can't tolerate them.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.