Vegetable Dal Khichdi: Easy, quick, one-pot wholesome anytime comforting meal made with a pressure cooker. Dal khichdi is the best nutritious food for babies and much comforting food to offer when a child or adult is sick. I have already posted a simple recipe of dal khichdi a while ago, this version of dal khichdi is more flavorful with the addition of onions, tomatoes, and little spices.
This post may sound simple for those who make khichdi every day with ease, but this recipe is aimed only for beginners in cooking. This vegetable dal khichdi can be given to babies from 8 months after introducing rice, lentils, and vegetables separately.
Vegetables Dal Khichdi Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids | Moong Dal Khichdi for Babies
- Rice - 1/2 cup
- Moong dal - 1/2 cup
- Big Onion - 1 small sized
- Tomato - 1 small sized
- Green chilli - 1
- Ginger - 1/2 inch
- Vegetables* - 1 cup chopped
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp optional
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Hing - a generous pinch
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Water - 4.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
* I used 1 carrot, 5 cauliflower florets, handful of peas and 1 small potato
- Slice onions, chop tomatoes finely. Wash and Chop all vegetables into bite size pieces. Slit green chillies. Roughly chop corainder leaves. Set aside.
- Wash rice and moong dal together and soak it in warm water for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee & oil. Add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add onions. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent , add tomatoes. Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and become mushy. Add chopped veggies, turmeric powder, garam masala powder(if using) and required salt. Give a quick stir.
- Then add soaked rice & moong dal mix well. Add coriander leaves. Give a quick stir.
- Add required water and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly, top with ghee if required.
- You could make this dal khichdi without vegetables too.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate before you try this khichdi.
- Always serve dal khichdi hot or warm. Otherwise it will become dry.
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this rice.
- For 1 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of moong dal , 4.5 cups of water is sufficient with prior soaking of rice and dal for 20 minutes. If you want it too mushy add 5 cups of water.
- Skip green chilli and ginger for small babies.
- You can add any veggies of your choice.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.