Oats Khichdi: Easy, quick, one pot wholesome meal for babies and toddlers made with pressure cooker. Oats khichdi is a best alternative for dal khichdi when your baby is bored of it. I have tried this oats khichdi last week, the method is similar to the vegetables dal khichdi by simply replacing the rice with oats. It turned out tasty and my little daughter finished her lunch without any complaints! I was happy that I got a new version of khichdi, do try this oats khichdi for a change and I hope your little ones at home like this khichdi. Oats khichdi can be given to babies from 8 months after introducing oats, moong dal and vegetables separately.
Oats Khichdi Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids | Moong Dal Khichdi for Babies
- Oats - 1/2 cup
- Moong dal - 2tbsp
- Big Onion - 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 small sized
- Pepper powder -1/8 tsp
- Ginger - 1/2 inch finely chopped
- Vegetables* - 1/2 cup chopped
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Hing - a generous pinch
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
* I used 1/2 cup of chopped carrots. you can add beans, cauliflower/broccoli florets, peas potato etc
- Wash moong dal and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. Slice onions, chop tomatoes finely. Wash and Chop all vegetables into bite size pieces. Chop ginger finely. Set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee. Add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add onions and ginger. Saute them nicely until the onions turn golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent , add tomatoes. Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and become mushy. Add chopped veggies, pepper powder, turmeric powder, hing and required salt. Give a quick stir.
- Then add soaked moong dal and saute them briefly for 2 minutes. Then add oats and give a quick stir.
- Add required water and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and mash the khichdi with a spoon slowly, top with ghee if required.
- Serve the Oats khichdi with curd.
- You could make this oats khichdi without vegetables too.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate before you try this khichdi.
- Always serve oats khichdi hot or warm. Otherwise it will become dry.
- Any type of oats can be used to prepare this khichdi.
- You can skip ginger for small babies.
- You can add any veggies of your choice.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.