Daliya/Broken wheat/cracked wheat is healthy, wholesome, and comforting food for babies. I already posted sweet daliya porridge and this broken wheat khichdi is another delicious recipe that can be made with daliya or cracked wheat. It’s a quick fix meal that can be served for breakfast or dinner. Daliya khichdi can be given to babies of age eight months plus.
Dalia Khichdi Recipe for Babies | Broken Wheat or Cracked Wheat Khichdi for Babies
- Daliya/broken wheat - 2 tbsp
- Moong Dal - 1 tbsp
- Mixed Vegetables - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp optional
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste not recommended for babies below one year
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Ghee - 1/2 Tsp
- Wash and chop the vegetables. Keep aside. Wash and dry roast the dalia and moong dal separately. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add moong dal and fry it for 2 minutes.
- Now add the mixed vegetables along with garlic and give a quick stir. Then add daliya and mix well.
- Now sprinkle turmeric powder, pepper powder and required salt to it. Give a quick stir. Add water and bring it to a boil. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it in low, medium flame for three whistles.
- Open the cooker once pressure released. Mash it well and serve warm.
Here is the video of how to make dalia khichdi recipe for babies
- Adjust the water level according to the broken wheat type. I used fine cracked wheat so added 1.5 cups of water.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice. I used carrot, peas, and cauliflower.
- You can make this daliya khichdi without vegetables too. To make it more filling and wholesome, add vegetables like carrot, peas, beans, etc..
- Adding salt is not recommended in baby food unless they turned one year.
- It is mildly spiced with the ingredients mentioned above. Add 1/2 tsp of red chili powder if you are making it for adults.
- Add one small tomato if you want the daliya khichdi to be slightly tangy.