Dalia Khichdi /Broken wheat Khichdi recipe - is healthy, wholesome, and comforting food for babies. I already posted sweet daliya porridge and this broken wheat khichdi is another delicious recipe that can be made with daliya or cracked wheat. It's a quick fix meal that can be served for breakfast or dinner. Daliya khichdi can be given to babies age eight months plus.
Here is how to make daliya khichdi with moong dal for babies.
Dalia Khichdi Recipe for Babies | Broken Wheat or Cracked Wheat Khichdi for Babies
- Daliya/broken wheat - 2 tbsp
- Moong Dal - 1 tbsp
- Mixed Vegetables - ¼ cup
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Pepper powder - ¼ tsp optional
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste not recommended for babies below one year
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Ghee - ½ Tsp
- Wash and chop the vegetables. Keep aside. Wash and dry roast the dalia and moong dal separately. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add moong dal and fry it for 2 minutes.
- Now add the mixed vegetables along with garlic and give a quick stir. Then add daliya and mix well.
- Now sprinkle turmeric powder, pepper powder and required salt to it. Give a quick stir. Add water and bring it to a boil. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it in low, medium flame for three whistles.
- Open the cooker once pressure released. Mash it well and serve warm.
- Adjust the water level according to the broken wheat type. I used fine cracked wheat so I added 1.5 cups of water.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice. I used carrot, peas, and cauliflower.
- You can make this daliya khichdi without vegetables too. To make it more filling and wholesome, add vegetables like carrot, peas, beans, etc..
- Adding salt is not recommended in baby food unless they turned one year.
- It is mildly spiced with the ingredients mentioned above. Add ½ teaspoon of red chili powder if you are making it for adults.
- Add one small tomato if you want the daliya khichdi to be slightly tangy.