Dosas are my favorite and I love to try different dosa, that justifies the number of dosa recipes in this space :)This tomato dosa is an instant version made with Idli dosa batter, very easy to prepare at home and requires minimal ingredients but tastes delicious. This tomato dosa is one good variety to try if you are bored of the usual ones. Check my other dosa varieties here:
You can give this instant tomato dosa to babies from 8 months as a breakfast/dinner. I made this tomato dosa for the whole family, so I have added red chili's and red chili powder. Please skip all the optional ingredients mentioned in the ingredients table for babies below 2 years. Also, adjust other spices according to your preference. Let's get on to check how to make this instant tomato dosa for babies & kids.
Instant Tomato Dosa Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids | DosaVarieties
- Dosa Batter - 2 cups
- Onions - 1 small sized
- Tomato - 2 medium sized
- Red chili - 2 to 3 optional
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp optional
- Coconut scrapped - 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp finely chopped optional
- Garlic - 2 to 3 small ones optional
- Curry leaves - few
- Water - as required
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - for making dosas
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add red chillies (if using), tomatoes and garlic. Saute it until tomatoes become mushy. Let it cool down for some time.
- Once the tomatoes are cooled down, grind it with coconut to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Measure the dosa batter. Keep it ready. In a vessel, add dosa batter, onion, tomato coconut paste, chopped ginger, curry leaves, cumin seeds. Mix well. The batter should be like regular dosa batter consistency neither too thick nor runny. Set aside.
- Heat a dosa tawa, add a ladle of batter to it and spread it to form a circle. Sprinkle oil. Cook it until brown on one side for five minutes and flip the dosa. Cook for 2 more minutes and remove from tawa. Repeat the same process for remaining batter.
- I have used a homemade idli dosa batter.
- For small babies and toddlers, skip red chili's, ginger and red chili powder. Just mash the dosa with your hands or just dip in warm water and give if they can't chew them.
- You can skip onions too.
- Spread the dosa thin or thick as per your preference.
- You can skip ginger if you don't like the flavor.
- Adding salt is not recommended until 1 year of age.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.