Sooji Porridge/Sooji Kheer/Suji Rava/sooji ki Kheer/Suji Kheer for Babies -Sooji/Rava/Semolina is an easily digestible food for babies and its prefferd as the first food for babies in northern parts of India. Rava can be introduced to baby from 6 months. This sooji porridge is similar to sooji kheer recipe minus the addition of dry fruits or nuts. My baby likes this porridge very much than any other porridge when she was little. It tastes so delicious. I had the privilege to enjoy her leftovers if any:)Check more information on introducing and selecting sooji for babies here.
Now Let’s get on to check how to make sooji porridge/sooji kheer recipe for babies.
- Roasted fine rava/sooji - 1.5 tbsp
- Powdered jaggery - 1.5 tbsp (optional)
- Homemade Ghee - ½ tsp
- Water - ¼ cup + ¼ cup
- Cows milk - 1 cup ( don't add for babies under one year )
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Boil cows milk (if using) in a sauce pan and keep it ready. If using jaggery with impurities, Add ¼ cup of water to the powdered jaggery and boil in a separate vessel until it melts completely. Then filter out the jaggery water using a strainer in the sauce pan
- Take 2 tbsp of roasted sooji in a sauce pan add required amount of water and ghee to the sooji and mix everything slowly with a whisk. Make sure that there are no lumps formed. . Cook the sooji in medium flame until the rava cooked completely.
- Stir it continuously while cooking otherwise porridge may stick to the vessel. Then add powdered organic jaggery/filtered jaggery water to the cooked sooji. Cook it further for 3 minutes or until its thick and switch off the flame once done.The porridge becomes thick after cooling down. So switch off the flame accordingly.
- Once the porridge/kheer is warm, Add a cup of Warm boiled cow's milk/formula milk/breast milk to the cooked sooji. (Skip adding milk if you are preparing this porridge for a baby under one year ).
Yummy sooji porridge/sooji kheer is ready to feed your baby.
- Skip cows milk if your baby is under a year old.
- Generally rava doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- I use 24 mantra organic jaggery powder for my baby porridge’s.
- The rava porridge becomes too thick when cooled down. So switch off the flame when it is little watery.
- If your baby doesn’t like the texture of rava, make it to a powder by grinding in a blender.
- Offer this porridge plain when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any kind of sweetener at least till one year, Add very little amount than mentioned or prefer sweet tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot etc or dry fruits like dates or raisins.