Ginger garlic paste is an essential ingredient for Indian cooking. Even though it is readily available in stores, making it at home is very easy, flavorful and preservatives free. Each one of you has its own version of ginger garlic paste and here is mine.
I used to grind the required quantities of ginger & garlic on the same day for cooking. But now after baby due to busy schedules, I prefer making this paste once in two weeks and store it in the refrigerator. It's completely safe to use a small amount of this ginger garlic paste to prepare some baby foods from 8 months. Try making your own batch and I am sure you will not go for store-bought hereafter!
Homemade Ginger Garlic Paste Recipe | Essentials
- Ginger chopped - ½ cup peeled & chopped
- Garlic - ½ cup peeled
- Turmeric Powder - ⅛ tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Wash ginger and dry them completely with a kitchen towel, peel the skin and chop them into pieces. Measure garlic and peel them. Transfer peeled ginger & garlic pieces to a blender.
- Grind ginger & garlic to a coarse paste. Then add turmeric powder and oil
- to the blend and grind again until you get a smooth paste.
- You could alter the ratio of ginger and garlic as per your liking.
- The shelf life of this ginger garlic paste is 3-4 weeks if refrigerated & handled well.
- Always use a small or powerful blender to get a smooth paste.
- Adding oil & turmeric powder gives a nice flavor and acts as a preservative.
- U can add lemon juice instead of oil. It increases shelf life even more.
- U can add little water while grinding. But adding water while grinding reduces the shelf life of the ginger garlic paste.
- Always use a clean & dry spoon.