Vegetable biryani comes in our menu often to get rid of the boredom of the usual lunch routine. It is very easy and quick to make when you have chopped mixed vegetables in hand. I planned to post my other version of vegetable biryani using pot, but last time ended up making this quick version of vegetable biryani.
I am sure this easy version can be made when you have guests at home. You can add any vegetable of your choice like carrots, beans, potatoes, cauliflower, peas and baby corns for making this vegetable biryani. Let's check the quick version of making vegetable biryani.
Vegetable Biryani Recipe | How to make Vegetable Biryani | RiceVarieties
- Seeraga samba rice - 1 cup
- Vegetables - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 large sized
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Green chillies - 2
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp from1 inch piece ginger and 3 garlic cloves
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Mint leaves - ⅛ cup
- Corainder leaves - ⅛ cup
- Thick curd - 1 tbsp
- Thin Coconut Milk - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cinnamon - ¼ inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamom - 1
- Wash and chop the vegetables to the desired size. Set aside. Slice onions lengthwise and chop tomatoes roughly. Then chop corainder and mint leaves. Slit the green chillies into two. Set aside. Measure 1 cup of rice and wash it well in running water. Keep aside. Extract 1 cup of coconut milk from coconut. Set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee & oil. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, & cardamom. Fry for a minute and then add onions along with ginger garlic paste. Saute them nicely until golden brown. Once onions becomes transparent and the raw smell of ginger garlic paste leaves, add tomatoes.
- Fry the tomatoes until the raw smell leaves and become mushy. Then add corainder leaves, mint leaves. Mix it well and stir it for three minutes. Now add chopped vegetables along with turmeric powder. Mix them together and fry them for five minutes. Add required salt.
- Then add thick curd and mix well with the gravy. Saute them for 3 minutes. Add washed seeraga samba rice and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup coconut milk. Bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in low medium flame for three whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and top with ghee if required.
3. Then add thick curd and mix well with the gravy. Saute them for 3 minutes. Add washed seeraga samba rice and mix well.
- Soak the rice at least for 15 minutes if using basmati rice. No need to soak rice if using seeraga samba variety.
- Add ½ teaspoon of red chilli powder while adding turmeric powder for a spicy biryani.
- Add vegetables as per your preference.
- You can skip coconut milk and make this biryani. I recommend to add coconut milk as it enhances the taste.
Leave a Reply