Is there anyone who is not fond of biryanis! Biryani is a one pot meal with delicious taste. I make different variety of biryani/pulao once in a week at least. I like non veg biriyani more than veg.But this mushroom biryani is the exception.
I prefer Seeraga samba rice for biryani than basmati rice as Seeraga samba has more nutrients and aroma. Mushroom biryani is the best meat alternative for vegetarians. They are not only high protein packed but also has an awesome taste. Only cleaning the mushrooms takes time, the rest can be done in jiffy.
- Seeraga samba rice/basmati rice - 1 cup
- Button mushrooms - 200 gm
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 2 medium sized
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Garam masala - ½ tsp
- Curd - 1 tbsp
- Thin Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - as required
- Mint leaves - 1 handful
- Coriander leaves - ⅛ cup
- Green chillies - 3
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cinnamon - ¼ inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Elachi - 1
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds - ½ tsp
- Grind mint leaves , coriander leaves and green chillies with little water and set aside. Then grind the tomatoes to a smooth paste and keep it ready.
- Wash and clean the mushrooms. Then slice each mushroom to four pieces. Grind ¼ cup of coconut with water and extract coconut milk from by pressing through a strainer. Make it to 1 cup and keep aside. Measures 1 cup of rice in a measuring cup and wash the rice twice. Set aside.
- Heat a small pressure cooker with ghee and add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, elachi, cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Once cuminf seeds Starts spluttering , add onions along with ginger garlic paste. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once the onions becomes golden brown and the raw smell of ginger garlic paste leaves, add tomato paste. Fry the paste until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves. Then add the coriander mint paste with red chilli powder and garam masala. Mix them together and saute them until the raw smell leaves.
- Now add the chopped mushroom pieces and mix them. Cook until the mushrooms starts leaving out water, then add curd.
- Now add the washed Seeraga samba rice to the gravy along with salt and fry them for a minute. Add coconut milk and water and bring it to a boil.
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for two whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and top with ghee if required. The delicious one pot meal is ready!
Serve the biryani with onion raita, the best combination or any mild gravy of your choice!