Mushroom Pulao - Easy, quick and mildly flavored pulao made with mushrooms, perfect for lunch box. I have already posted mushroom biryani recipe in my space, but this mushroom pulao is more easy & quick version with no grinding and with less spices which makes the recipe more kids friendly.
Mushroom Pulao Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Mushrooms - 200 gms
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Onion - 1 large sized
- Tomato - 1 small sized optional
- Green chillies - 1 or 2
- Mint leaves -a handful
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Biryani masala powder - ½ tsp optional
- Garam masala powder - ½ tsp
- Curd - 1 tbsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 1.5 tbsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cinnamon - ¼ inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamom - 1
- Measure 1cup of rice in a measuring cup and wash the rice twice. Soak it in water for 20 to 30 minutes. Set aside. Wash and clean mushrooms, cut them into slices. Keep it ready.
- Chop mint leaves and coriander leaves. Chop the onions length wise and finely chop tomatoes. Keep everything ready. Slit green chillies. Heat a small pressure cooker with ghee and add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom. Saute it for 2 minutes .
- Add onions and give a quick stir. Now add ginger garlic paste. Saute them nicely until golden brown. Once the onions becomes golden brown and the raw smell of ginger garlic paste leaves, add tomatoes.
- Fry them until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves. Then add the coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chillies. Now add chopped mushrooms. Mix well. Sprinkle garam masala and biryani masala powder(if using). Mix them together and saute them for 3 minutes.
- Then add curd. Saute for two minutes or until the masalas gets blended with mushrooms. Then add the soaked rice to the gravy along with salt and fry them for a minute.
- Add required amount of water and bring it to a boil. Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for two whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker, add more ghee if desired and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Normal cooking rice also can be used to prepare this mushroom pulao.
- Clean the mushrooms well to get rid of mud and dirt's.
- Skip green chilli for small kids.
- Adjust spices according to your preference.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.