I love chettinad recipes for their fragrance and spiciness. The authentic chettinad recipes are mostly prepared with freshly ground masala. This chettinad mushroom masala is no different and recently tried this recipe from a cookbook. We had a great satisfaction with the taste. I am sure you will be surprised like me with this super tasty chettinad mushroom masala recipe and sure it is a heart winner to me.
I am really happy to write this post as a guest post for my fellow blogger Kalyani Balaji. When she approached me to do a guest post on her space, i felt very happy and accepted it. I got to know her through a Facebook group and she is definitely one of the inspiring bloggers, hoping to connect with her more in future. Here is how to make this spicy chettinad mushroom masala.
Chettinad Mushroom Masala Recipe | Mushroom Recipes
- Button Mushrooms - 200 gms
- Small onions - 10 to 12 nos
- Tomato - 2 medium sized
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Corainder leaves - 1 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamom - 1
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 2 sprig
To dry roast and grind
- Red chillies - 4
- Corainder seeds - 1 tsp
- Black pepper corns - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fried gram dal - 1/2 tbsp
- Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
- Wash and cut each mushroom into 2 or 3 slices depending upon its size. Keep them ready. Peel small onions. Chop the tomatoes roughly. Keep all the ingredients ready.
- Roast red chillies, coriander seeds, pepper corns, cumin seeds, grated coconut and fried gram dal in a pan until nice aroma comes.
- Then grind the dry roasted items water to make a fine paste. This is the chettinad masala. Set this aside.
- Heat a kadai with oil and add the items to temper. Once Saute for a minute.Then add small onions along with ginger garlic paste & fry it well for 5 minutes.
- Once the small onions becomes brown here and there, add tomatoes in and fry it till turns mushy and soft. Once tomatoes become soft, add the ground chettinad masala paste and turmeric powder. I forgot to add curry leaves while tempering. So added at this stage. Fry the masala until the raw smell leaves from the masala. It may take 5 minutes.
- Then add the cleaned mushroom pieces and mix everything. At one point in time, mushroom will start leave out water.
- At that stage add 1/4 cup of water and boil the gravy in medium flame until the mushroom gets cooked and the curry becomes little thick. Once everything comes together, switch off the flame. Garnish with corainder leaves.
- Small onions works the best for this recipe. Hence I recommend to use small onions instead of big ones.
- Dry roast everything in low flame while preparing the chettinad masala. This is the key to make a tasty chettinad mushroom masala.
- This is a spicy gravy with the above mentioned ingredients. Reduce pepper if you want it less spicy.