Pepper dal - a comforting food for winters made with Indian lentils and tempered with freshly grounded pepper. Its a very easy recipe to make but yet tastes so delicious, addition of pepper make a simple dal tastes so different. Also adding pepper helps relieving cold symptoms and its one of the best food to offer during cold in children or even adults. Pepper dal goes well with jeera rice, Chapati or roti, even hot steamed plain rice.This pepper dal can be given to babies from 10 months and adjust spices according to your baby's preference.
Now Let's get on to check how to make this pepper dal.
Pepper Dal Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Toor dal - ½ cup
- Water - 1.25 cups
- Green chillies - 1
- Big onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 2 medium sized
- Garlic - 5
- Asafoetida/Hing - ⅛ tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 tsp to garnish
- Salt - as required
To Dry Roast and Ground into powder
- Black Pepper Corns - 1 tsp
- Ghee/butter/oil- 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Red chilies - 1
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Dry roast 1 teaspoon of whole pepper in a small pan until nice aroma comes. Cool it down and grind in a blender/mixie to a coarse powder.
- Chop onions, garlic, green chilies and tomatoes finely . Set aside. Wash toor dal thoroughly 2-3 times and soak it in water for 5 minutes.
- Take the soaked toor dal in a pressure cooker, add 1.25 cups of water, chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilies, garlic,hing, turmeric powder and required salt. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook it for 3 whistles in medium flame.
- Once pressure released , open the cooker. Mash it slightly using a spoon.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumming seeds. Fry it until cumin seeds cracks. Then add curry leaves, red chilies, freshly grounded black pepper powder and saute them for a minute. switch off the flame once done.
- If the dal is watery, boil it in medium flame for 3 minutes or until it becomes thick. Dont boil it too much as cooking the dal too much, spoils its taste. Once the dal becomes slightly thick, add tempered items and give a quick stir. Switch off the flame once done and garnish with chopped coriander leaves
- If you want the dal to be more spicy,add more pepper corns.
- Instead of toor dal,yellow moong dal can be used.
- Dont boil the too much after pressure cooking as cooking the dal too much, as its spoils the taste.
- Adjust spice levels according to your child's preference.