One pot meal is my favorite as it’s quick to make but with delicious taste. I used to try different varieties of biriyani/Pulao once in a week. I love anything made with tomatoes for its tanginess. This tomato pulao is similar to any other pulao with tangy tase and of course with tomatoes as main ingredient. I usually add carrots and peas or any mixed veggies to make it a wholesome meal. This time I had only carrots in hand and went ahead with that. Let’s see the recipe.
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 3 medium sized
- Carrots or mixed veggies - ¼ cup
- Ginger garlic paste - ½ tsp
- Green chillies - 2
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Garam masala - ¼ tsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cinnamon - ¼ inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Elachi - 1
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for one hour at least.
- Chop onions lengthwise and tomatoes finely. Chop the veggies into desired size if using. Split the green chillies into two. Keep everything ready.
- Heat a small pressure cooker with ghee and add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Fry it for a minute. Then add onions along with ginger garlic paste and green chillies.Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once the onions becomes golden brown and the raw smell of ginger garlic paste leaves, add tomatoes along with coriander leaves. Fry them until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves. Once the tomatoes turns soft, add red chilli powder,turmeric powder,garam masala and salt.Mix them together and fry them for a minute.
- Now add the chopped vegetable pieces( if using) and mix them. Fry it well for two minutes in medium flame. Once everything mixed well, add soaked basmati rice and mix it well with the gravy.
- Add required water and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook it in low flame for 2 whistles. Once the pressure released from the cooker, fluff the rice with spoon and top it with ghee if needed.
3. One cup of water is enough for this pulao as tomatoes releases some amount of water while cooking. But be sure to cook in low flame.