Instant Apple pancakes - Soft, thick pancakes made with apples, whole wheat flour and palm sugar/brown sugar/jaggery. Everyone agrees that Apples are good for health as it's a good source of fiber and vitamins. But then if your child is bored of eating raw apples everyday, here is a creative way to include them in their diet. This instant apple pancakes recipe is very tasty with healthy goodness of whole wheat flour and without sugar. Apple pancakes can be given to babies after 8 months as a finger food. You can top it with dates syrup, chocolate syrup/ honey (not advisable for babies below one year) . Tastes yum!
Apple Pancakes Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Apple - 1 medium sized
- Whole wheat flour - ½ cup
- Salt - ⅛ tsp
- Baking Soda/ Fruit Salt - ½ tsp
- Warm milk/ Water - ½ cup
- Palm Sugar/ Brown sugar/jaggery - 2 tsp optional
- Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
- Cinnamon powder - ¼ tsp
- Butter/Ghee - 2 tsp
- Measure and keep everything ready. Wash, peel and grate the apples. Set aside. Sieve whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom powder and cinnamon powder using a siever.
- Take warm milk/ water, melted butter and palm sugar/brown sugar/powdered jaggery (if using) in a mixing bowl. Mix everything using a hand whisk.
- Now transfer this wet ingredients to the whole wheat flour mix. Add in grated apples. Mix everything well and add some milk/water if the batter is too thick.
- Heat a tawa or iron skillet, add a ladle of apple pancake batter to it and spread it to form a circle. Don't spread too much. It should be thick like pancakes. Sprinkle butter/ghee. Cook in low medium flame. Cook until brown on one side for three minutes and flip it carefully. Repeat the same for remaining apple pancake batter.
- You can add nuts powder to the apple pancake batter to make it more healthy.
- Cook everything in low to medium flame otherwise it gets burnt or sticky.
- Use sweet tasting apples for this recipe.
- You could also use water instead of milk.
- Adjust sweetness as per the taste of apples.
- Don't spread this apple pancakes thin. Otherwise it won't be fluffy.
- No salt or honey for babies below one year.
- Skip baking soda, palm sugar/brown sugar/jaggery for babies below one year. And serve with dates syrup if required.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.