Chocolate syrup or anything chocolate-based is most of the kid's favorite. But the store-bought syrup contains preservatives & some horrible ingredients. Hence I have tried to make the chocolate syrup at home; the result is vibrant, delicious, sure better than the store-bought. It just took only 15 minutes to make at home with readily available ingredients.
- Can be added as desserts toppings for ice creams, cakes, etc
- Use as a spread for dosas, pancakes, Chapati/roti, or bread.
- Combine 1 to 2 teaspoon of it with 1 cup of warm milk to prepare chocolate milk.
- Add it to milkshakes & smoothies for a chocolate flavor.
The homemade chocolate syrup tastes yummy, but just a word of caution here. I would suggest to include this chocolate syrup occasionally as a special treat and not regularly. As it might make your toddler/kid to develop a sweet tooth.
Homemade Chocolate Syrup Recipe for Toddlers and Kids | HomemadeChocolate Sauce
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 4 tbsp
- Palm jaggery/ jaggery / Brown Sugar/ White Sugar - ½ cup to ¾ cup
- Water - ¾ cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Vanilla Extract - ½ tsp
* I used Palm Jaggery
- Sterilize a glass jar and let it dry.
- Measure cocoa powder, Palm jaggery, and water. Keep it ready. Add Palm jaggery/Jaggery/sugar to the saucepan and add water to it.
- Now in the same saucepan, add cocoa powder and pinch of salt to the melted jaggery/Palm jaggery/sugar.
- Mix well with a whisk continuously until it starts to boil. Once it started boiling, let it cook in a medium-low flame until it becomes slightly thick. It may take 3 minutes.
- Boil it until it becomes quite dark, thick, and reached honey-like consistency. Switch off the flame once done and add vanilla syrup. Mix well and let it cool down. Once it is cooled down completely, store it in a sterilized glass jar.
Here is the video of how to make chocolate syrup at home for toddlers and kids
- I have replaced sugar with Palm Jaggery to make it healthier, but you could use any sweetener of your choice.
- Adding more water makes the syrup watery.
- Keep the flame low to medium and stir it occasionally to avoid burning at the bottom.
- This chocolate syrup becomes a little thick after cooling down, so switch it off the flame accordingly. Don't over boil.
- It stays well for 2 to 3 months if appropriately handled and refrigerated.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Is this for 1+ year babies??
Yes can be given in small amount occasionally
Can this be given for 1+ once a day mixed with milk ??
yes in moderation you can give
Can vanilla essence is compulsory to add or we can skip it
You can skip it.