Black Urad Dal Porridge is an easy, quick, one-pot savory porridge for babies and toddlers made with split black gram, rice, garlic, and coconut milk in a pressure cooker. Urad dal is a healthy weight gaining food for babies and growing children as it is loaded with calcium and other essential nutrients. This black urad dal porridge is wholesome and satisfying that it can be given to babies from 10 months as breakfast or lunch. Its also suitable for adults, especially women, pregnant women, and locating moms.
Check out other urad dal recipes for babies and kids here:
- Urad Dal Porridge
- Urad Dal Cereal
- Urad Dal Porridge made with urad dal cereal
- Urad Dal Milk
- Urad Dal Halwa
- Urad Dal Ladoo
- Urad Dal Khichdi
Black Urad Dal Porridge Recipe for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
- Pressure cooker
- ¼ Cup Rice
- 2 tablespoon Split Black Gram/Black Urad Dal
- ⅛ teaspoon Methi Seeds/Fenugreek Seeds
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- ½ tablespoon Grated Coconut
- 1 Cup Water
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- Wash and soak rice and black gram for 15 mins. Drain the water and keep it ready.
- In a pressure cooker, add the drained black gram and rice. Add in garlic.
- Add-in methi seeds and coconut.
- Then add required water and salt as needed. Skip the salt for babies below one year. Then close the lid of a pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for two whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and mash the porridge with a masher slowly. You can also blend the porridge using a blender/mixer instead of smashing it.
- Add in dry ginger powder
- Add coconut milk. Keep it in low flame and boil for 3-5 mins. Switch off the flame once done.
- You can use whole black or white urad dal or split white urad dal instead of split black urad dal. But black urad dal is more nutritious than white urad dal.
- Soaking rice and black gram ensure easier digestion in babies.
- For babies above one year, you can even use cows milk instead of coconut milk.
- The porridge becomes thick after cooling down, use warm water or coconut milk to adjust the consistency while serving.
- The black urad dal porridge can be served with a spicy chutney for older kids and adults.
- Any type of rice can be used to prepare this porridge.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.