Dalia kheer – healthy dessert made with Dalia/ broken wheat/cracked wheat, nuts, and coconut milk! Dalia is a great healthy food for babies and kids, hence its recommended to include them in their diet at least once in a week. You can introduce broken wheat to your baby around eight months as Dalia porridge or Dalia Khichdi and then move to this dalia kheer as a quick dessert! Do give this cracked wheat or Dalia kheer a try and am sure your little one & the whole family will like it!
Also, check out Dalia halwa which I posted a few weeks before.
Now let’s get on to check this dalia kheer recipe for babies toddlers and kids.
- Dalia / Broken wheat - ½ cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Jaggery - ½ cup
- Coconut Milk - 2 cups
- Cardamom - 1
- Ghee - 2 Tsp
- Cashews - 5
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Rinse dalia thoroughly in water and pressure cook it for four whistles with 2 cups of water in medium flame. Open the cooker once pressure released.
- In the meantime, heat ghee and fry the cashews&raisins and keep it ready. Heat jaggery in a saucepan with water until it's immersed level. Once it melts completely, Strain the jaggery water through a strainer to remove impurities and keep it ready.
- Now add filtered jaggery water to cooked dalia and mix well. Also, add crushed cardamom and mix well. Now cook everything in a low flame for 5 to 7minutes.
- Stir it occasionally while cooking to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Then add coconut milk and mix well. Cook until the kheer becomes slightly thick. Once everything comes together and when the kheer consistency is reached, add ghee fried cashews & raisins. Mix well and switch off the flame once done.
3. Now add filtered jaggery water to cooked dalia and mix well. Also, add crushed cardamom and mix well. Now cook everything in a low flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir it occasionally while cooking to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Cooking time of Dalia and water quantity depends on the variety used. Thin type requires less water than mentioned.
- You could also use cow’s milk instead of coconut milk for babies above one year.
- Avoid jaggery for babies below one year. Instead, add fruit puree for sweetness.
- Skip whole cashews or raisins for small babies as they lead to choking hazard. Instead, add nuts powder.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This dalia kheer becomes a little thicker when cooled down. So switch off the flame when it is a little thick.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separately before you try this dalia kheer to your baby.