Broken wheat halwa/broken wheat lapsi/broken wheat kesari – healthy dessert for babies, toddlers, kids and for the whole family. Broken wheat/Cracked wheat/ wheat Dalia / bulgar wheat is one of the super healthy food for babies that can be included in babies diet after 8 months. I have already shared Dalia porridge and Dalia Khichdi recipe, and last week I made this wheat daila halwa as a dessert! It turned out nice and am sure your baby will love it for the soft texture!
Now Let’s check how to make this broken wheat halwa recipe for babies, toddlers and kids.
- Broken wheat/ Dalia - ¼ cup
- Apple - 1 medium sized
- Powdered jaggery - 4 tbsp
- Homemade Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Water - ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder - ⅛ tsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Cashews, raisins - 1 tbsp
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Roast broken wheat in a thick bottomed pan with a tbsp of ghee until nice aroma comes.
- Then add required amount of water to it and cook covered in low medium for 10-12 minutes or until the broken wheat is completely cooked. Give a stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, Peel the apple with a peeler. Remove the seeds. Cut them into cubes and puree it using a blender.
- Heat jaggery in a saucepan with water till it immersed level. Once the jaggery melts completely, switch off the flame. Filter the jaggery water using a strainer and keep it ready.
- Once the broken wheat is completely cooked add pureed apples. Mix well.
- Now add filtered jaggery water and cardamom powder. Cook it further until all the water is absorbed. Keep stirring in between and add the remaining ghee little by liitle. In the meantime, ghee fry the cashews and raisins. Keep aside.
- When the halwa forms a whole mass and doesn't stick to the pan, add ghee fried cashews and switch off the flame.
4. Heat jaggery in a saucepan with water till it immersed level. Once the jaggery melts completely, switch off the flame. Filter the jaggery water using a strainer and keep it ready.
5. Once the broken wheat is completely cooked add pureed apples. Mix well.
7. When the halwa forms a whole mass and doesn’t stick to the pan, add ghee fried cashews and switch off the flame.
Healthy broken wheat halwa with apple is ready !
- I have used thick broken wheat hence used more water to cook it. If using fine broken wheat variety, it takes less water than the mentioned amount.
- The thin broken wheat variety gives smooth texture than thick variety.
- You could also pressure cook the broken wheat for 4 whistles instead of cooking in the pan and continue with the further steps. Pressure cooking saves time.
- When selecting apples, choose sweet tasting apples. Choose apples that are firm and discolored.
- Skip jaggery if your baby is under year old. Use more apple puree instead for sweetness.
- Generally broken wheat or apple doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Don’t prefer whole nuts for small babies, instead add powdered nuts.