Tomato Gotsu/gothsu/Kothsu is my favorite side dish for Idli next to tiffin sambar. I have already posted tomato gosthu recipe which is Amma's version. This tomato gotsu recipe, I learnt from my MIL who is from Chidhambaram side. She makes everything traditionally and perfectly.
I love both the versions each one unique on its own way. This tomato gotsu/thakkali gothsu could be a good accompaniment as breakfast side dish you can make it quickly, with simple ingredients. Let's check how to make this tomato gotsu recipe.
Chidhambaram Style Tomato Gotsu Recipe | Tomato Gosthu with Moongdal|SideDish for Idli Dosa
- Onions - 2 medium sized
- Tomatoes - 3 medium sized
- Moong Dal - ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Green chillies - 2
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder -¼ tsp
- Water - ¼ cup
- Corainder leaves - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Seasame Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely. Split the green chillies. Keep everything ready. Pressure cook the moong dal for 3 whistles. Open the cooker once pressure released, mash the moong dal well. Set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and add the items to temper. Once the mustard seeds cracks, urad dal turns brown, add curry leaves. Then add onions.
- Fry the onions till it becomes transparent. After that add the tomatoes in and sauté till it becomes mushy. Once the tomatoes turn mushy, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and required salt.
- Mix well and add ¼ cup of water. Boil the gravy for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are completely cooked.
- Then keep the flame low. Add the pressure cooked moong dal and mix well. Boil the gravy for 5 more minutes till the desired consistency is reached. Switch off the flame once done and garnish with chopped corainder leaves.
Serve the tomato gotsu with Idli/Dosa.
- The consistency of the gostu is usually little watery. So adjust water accordingly.
- Sambar powder can be used instead of red chilli powder.
- As this tomato gotsu has a little sourness, better to accompany it with first two days Idli batter.
Leave a Reply