Thakkali Gothsu is a tangy gravy that is a perfect side dish for idli, dosa, or rava Idli. This recipe is from my native Tirunelveli, and it called Thakkali khichadi there. I learned this from my Amma, who is an expert in making our native dishes. This gothsu is different from the tomato gothsu made in North parts of Tamilnadu with moong dal. This gravy is very simple & easy to make, but it has a unique taste and a keeper recipe! Do try this once to fall in love with this Gothsu.
Tomato Gothsu / Thakkali Gothsu Recipe (Tirunelveli Style) | Side dish for Idli Dosa
- Tomatoes - 4 medium-sized
- Onions - 1 big-sized
- Green chillies - 2 to 3
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Corainder leaves - to garnish
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Gingelly oil - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Wash the tomatoes & green chillies and chop them roughly.
- Place the chopped tomatoes and green chillies in a pressure cooker & cook it for a whistle.
- In the meantime, cut the onions finely and keep it ready along with curry leaves & coriander leaves. Once pressure released from the cooker, grind tomatoes and green chillies with coconut to a fine paste & keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and the items to temper. Once the mustard seeds cracks, urad dal turns brown, add curry leaves.
- Add onions & fry till it becomes transparent.
- Now add the tomato coconut paste along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well and boil it in a medium flame.
- Keep boiling the gravy for 5 minutes. Once it reaches the desired consistency, Garnish with coriander leaves & switch off the flame.