Thakkali Gothsu is a tangy gravy which is a perfect side dish for idli, dosa or rava Idli. This recipe is from my native Tirunelveli and it called as Thakkali khichadi there. I learnt this from my Amma who is a expert in making our native dishes. This gothsu is different from the tomato gothsu made in North parts of Tamilnadu with moong dal. This gravy is very simple & easy to make but it has a unique taste and definitely a keeper recipe! Do try this once to fall in love with this Gothsu.
- Tomatoes - 4 medium sized
- Green chillies - 2 to 3
- Grated coconut - ¼ cup
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Corainder leaves - to garnish
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Gingelly oil - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Wash the tomatoes & green chillies and chop them roughly.
- Place the chopped tomatoes and green chillies in a pressure cooker & cook it for a whistle.
- In the meantime, cut the onions finely and keep it ready along with curry leaves & coriander leaves. Once pressure released from the cooker, grind tomatoes and green chillies with coconut to a fine paste & keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and the items to temper. Once the mustard seeds cracks, urad dal turns brown, add curry leaves.
- Add onions & fry till it becomes transparent.
- Now add the tomato coconut paste along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well and boil it in a medium flame.
- Keep boiling the gravy for 5 minutes. Once it reaches the desired consistency, Garnish with coriander leaves & switch off the flame.