Bajra Cookies/Pearl Millet Cookies/Kambu Cookies- easy, crispy, quick and healthy cookie/biscuit recipe made with pearl millet flour & Almonds. I had a cup of bajra flour nearing expiry, thought I should cookies a try and to my surprise it came out so tasty and crispy:) I followed my whole wheat almond cookies recipe and tweaked a bit. This bajra cookies can be given to kids from one year and sure a healthy snack for kids. Check out other healthy whole grain cookies recipes too.
Bajra Cookies Recipe for Toddlers and Kids| Pearl Millet Cookies
- Bajra Flour/Pearl Millet Flour - 1 cup
- Almonds - 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Palm sugar/ Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder or Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1/2 cup or 1 butter stick or 113 gms
- Boiled Milk - 2 tbsp optional
- Salt -a tiny pinch
- Almonds/Cashews - 8 for garnishing
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. Also preheat the oven to 180 deg C for 10 minutes. Take 1/4 cup of almonds in a blender and grind it to a slightly coarse or fine powder. In a mixing bowl, take the grounded almonds flour and add 1 cup of bajra flour, salt and baking powder to it. Mix well.
- Then take the butter in a vessel. Let it come to a room temperature. Then add brown sugar to it. if using palm sugar grind it to a fine powder and add here. Mix well until the sugar is completely melted.
- Add this butter sugar mix along with vanilla essence or cardamom powder to the dry ingredients and start to mix the dough with your hands gently until you get the soft dough consistency. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of milk if required, I have not added any milk as the dough was soft with butter.
- Once the soft dough consistency is reached, keep the cookie dough in refrigerator for 20 mins. In the meantime, line the cookie tray with a cookie sheet/parchment paper. After 20 mins, take the cookie dough from the refrigerator and start making balls and flatten it using your palms. Arrange the cookies, garnish with sliced almonds/cashews and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes (baking time depends on the size of the cookies and oven) at 180° C till cookies are browned at the bottom. Allow to cool in tray completely and serve the cookies.
2. In a mixing bowl, take the grounded almonds flour and add 1 cup of bajra flour, salt and baking powder to it. Mix well.
- The color of the cookies depends on the sugar used. I used dark brown sugar.
- Its moderately sweet with 1/2 cup of sugar. Add more sugar if you prefer more sweetness.
- Adjust with milk while kneading the dough to reach the soft dough consistency.
- If the dough is too sticky, adjust with 1 tbsp of bajra flour.
- The cookies stays well for a week at room temperature if stored in an airtight container.
- Keep an eye on the oven after 13 minutes of baking and check cookies turned brown at the bottom though the cookies may look soft. After cooling down the cookies will turn crunchy.
- Powder the sugar for making the process easy if using palm sugar or regular brown sugar. I used demerara sugar and hence used it as such.
- Mixing and measurements are most important for the perfect cookies.