Apple Rice Pudding - a delicious dessert made with apple, rice and milk. I always love experimenting different fruit based desserts. I have already posted apple suji kheer and wheat/atta halwa with apples, dalia/ broken wheat halwa with apples for babies/kids. So this time I wanted to try pudding/kheer with apples and rice. It turned out so nice and tasty 🙂 This apple rice pudding can be given to babies after 8 months by replacing cow's milk with formula milk (pointers given at the end of post for the preparation using formula milk).
Apple Rice Pudding Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Cooked Rice - 1/2 cup
- Apple - 1 medium sized
- Milk - 1.25 cups
- Palm Sugar/Brown sugar- 1.5 tbsp
- Almonds - 1 tbsp
- Nuts Powder - 1 tsp optional
- Raisins - 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder - a pinch
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. In a pan, heat ghee and add almonds & raisins to it. Saute them until raisins plumed up. Switch off the flame once done. Set aside.
- Wash apple in running water well. Peel the skin off from the apple with a peeler. Remove the seeds in the centre part after cutting the Apple vertically into two pieces. Then chop them into equal size small cubes. Steam chopped apple pieces in a steamer for 5 minutes. You can also pressure cook it with a cup of water for 2 whistles. For both steaming and blending i use
- Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender
- Once the apple is steamed, it will be soft and transparent. Now blend it with little water to a smooth paste in a blender. Set the apple puree aside.
- Then add 1.25 cups of milk to the cooked rice along with sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well. Then start cooking the mixture in low medium flame for 5-10 minutes. Keep stirring in between. Once the mixture becomes thick, switch off the flame. Cool it down.
- Then add apple puree along with nuts powder to it. Mix well and then add ghee tempered almonds raisins mixture.
- Give a quick stir. Pour it to serving bowls and refrigerate if desired!
- Prepare steamed apple puree as per step 2.
- Add cooked well mashed rice along with a tsp of ghee to the apple puree. Add nuts powder if desired and mix well.
- Once the mixture is warm add breastmilk/ formula milk to adjust the consistency. Feed your baby!
- You can also cook rice along with water/milk. It may take little more time to cook than mentioned. If using uncooked rice, use 1/4 cup.
- Use sweet tasting apple for best results.
- This Apple rice pudding gets little thick after cooled down, so switch off the flame accordingly.
- For toddlers, You can use raw grated or pureed apple to prepare this pudding.
- You can also refrigerate the pudding for 15-20 minutes and serve.
- Skip sugar for babies below one year. Use dates syrup or fruit purees instead.
- Avoid whole nuts for small babies, instead use dry fruits powder or almond powder.
- If the pudding gets thicken, adjust with milk.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredients separate to your baby, before you try this apple rice pudding recipe.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.