Health Benefits of homemade almond powder:
- Almond is rich in calcium hence strengthen the bones.
- Are good for brain development.
- Great source of alkaline, hence helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Rich in Vitamin E hence keeps the skin glowing.
Why peeling the almonds skin is recommended for making this almond powder :
Though peeling takes lot of time, its highly recommended for babies,toddlers and kids. Here is the advantage of the same: peeling the skin off from the almonds eliminates the toxic effects produced by almond skin and makes it easily digestible for babies and kids.
When to introduce this almond powder to babies & how to use this homemade almond powder?
This Homemade almond powder can be given to babies of age nine months plus. When you start begin with 1 tsp of this almond powder and check whether the baby shows any allergic reaction. Check it for 3 days and if the baby is not allergic to it, you can increase the amount gradually. You could consume this homemade almond powder in below ways.
- Add a tsp of it to purees, mashed food, vegetables soups, milkshakes etc while cooking to increase the nutritional value and taste.
- Just sprinkle this powder to this sweet poha & offer to toddlers and kids which is a healthy alternative to cornflakes.
- Use this powder to make almond milk. Add it to milk and offer as a health drink to toddlers and adults. Check this recipe for almond milk preparation. Just replace the freshly grounded almond powder with this instant almond powder mix.
- Use this malted cereal mix powder to make instant ladoos, cookies etc
Here is how to make homemade almond milk powder for babies, toddlers and kids.
- Almonds/Badam - ½ cup
- Palm Sugar - ¼ cup
- Whole Cardamom - 3 nos
- Saffron - ¼ tsp
- Measure the almonds & palm sugar using a measuring cup as mentioned in the ingredients table & keep it ready. Next step is to blanch the almonds. Heat a cup of water in a saucepan until rolling boil and add almonds to it. Keep it undisturbed for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, add cold water to it and drain the water completely from it. Transfer the drained almonds to a clean absorbent cloth or a towel and pat dry it.
- Peel the skin off from the almonds and pat dry them once again. Then dry roast the blanched almonds in a pan until it's completely dry. Keep aside and cool it down. Take palm sugar and cardamom to a blender and give a run. Don't grind too much.
- Now add the roasted almonds along with saffron to the same blender and blend it to a smooth powder. Cool it down and store in a air tight container. For a very smooth powder, sieve it and store.
Here is the video recipe for how to make homemade almond powder for babies and toddlers
- You can store this homemade almond powder in a airtight container, Keep it in refrigerator if you live in a humid weather. It stays well 2 to 3 months if handled properly.
- Skip palm sugar or any kind of sugar for babies below one year.
- You can use 1/4 cup of cashews to this almond mix. Just dry roast them and blend along with almonds.
- Instead of Palm sugar you can use white rock sugar. But adding white sugar is not that healthy for kids.
- Adjust the palm sugar quantity according to the sweetness you prefer.
- Make sure you cool down completely after roasting & blending. Otherwise it will let out moisture.
- Don’t grind too much as it may leave out oil.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.