Peaches or Nectarines are almost same (with equivalent nutrients) except peaches have fuss on their skin. Both are loaded with vitamin C, vitamin A and contain a great amount of fiber. Like other P fruits (Plums, Pear, Papaya, Prunes, Pineapple), peaches have natural laxatives, hence its a great fruit to offer when baby is constipated. This peach juice can be given to babies from 6 months occasionally or when baby is constipated (start with a small amount). Read more on about giving juices to babies.
The sweet tasting peaches or nectarines are easily digestible hence it can be given as a first food to babies from 6 months. When you introduce, you can offer as steamed peach puree, slowly move into mashed, cut tiny pieces of peaches as finger food to your child around 8 months. Peaches goes well with bananas, avocados etc, you could combine peaches with those fruits to make it more tasty.
Look for a ripe and sweet peaches. It should slightly yield on a gentle pressure. Always opt for organic peaches/nectarines which is pesticides free.
Peach Juice Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Peaches/Nectarines - 3
- Water - ¾ cup
- Honey/Sugar - 1 tsp optional
- Wash the peaches/nectarines in running water thoroughly. Boil water in a saucepan until rollling boil and switch off the flame once done. Place the peaches in the hot water for 2-3 minutes. Then plunge into cool water immediately.
- Remove from hot water and place it on a cutting board, peel the skin off from the peaches using a peeler. Then chop them into cubes. Remove the pits and seeds in the centre and discard.
- Then take the chopped peach pieces and sweetener of your choice (if using) in a juicer/blender. Blend everything till smooth. Add the required amount of water to grind smooth. Pour it in serving glass.
- For better results, choose ripe and sweet tasting peaches.
- Increase sweetener as per your preference. Skip sugar or honey for babies below one year.
- Always check with your baby's doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Give a gentle steam for 5 minutes for small babies to ensure easier digestion.
- Give only a small amount when you introduce this juice to your child. Also it's recommended to dilute the juice with water when you introduce.
- For babies below one year, prefer juices occasionally as breastmilk or formula should be major until one year.