Pomegranate is a wonderful fruit with numerous health benefits. In the post, I have given information about offering juices to babies, health benefits of pomegranates to babies, and the making of pomegranate juice with the quick and mess-free method to de-seed the pomegranates.
When to introduce juice for babies:
For the first six months, breastmilk or formula meets all the needs for a baby. Juices can be included in babies diet after six months, only during mealtime as giving juice with meals helps body absorbs iron from the food. When you introduce, dilute one part of juice with ten parts of boiled water. Always prefer a cup over the bottle to give juice for babies to prevent tooth decay. You can offer a maximum of 100 ml per day. Always remember that breastmilk or formula should be primary for babies until one year hence prefers juices occasionally and when the baby is sick.
Health benefits of pomegranates for babies:
- Helps to cure dental problems
- Eliminates digestive disorders
- The best remedy for diarrhea
- Controls fevers
- Cure stomach infections
Pomegranate Juice Recipe for Babies
- Pomegranate - 1 medium-sized
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Here is how to de-seed the pomegranate. Wash the pomegranate in running water thoroughly. Then cut about half an inch from the top and bottom of the pomegranate. Now score the pomegranate 4-6 times around the midline. Don't go so deep but deep enough to touch the skin.
- Now you can open the fruit using your thumb. It will break into 4-6 pieces easily. Now collect the pearls using your finger.
- Transfer the collected pomegranate pearls to the blender along with water. Blend it for 10 seconds. Don't grind too long as you might grind the seeds too.
- Strain through a strainer and collect the juice in a vessel.
- Don't blend for too long, as you might grind the seeds, which makes the juice taste bitter.
- Serve the juice fresh.
- You can add ice cubes to the juice if you want it more chilled.
- If making this juice for babies of age 6-12 months, Skip honey and ice cubes