Wheat is a healthy food for baby and should be introduced after 8 months. When I started wheat for my baby, I have given plain wheat porridge with Apple or jaggery as a sweetener and checked whether she is allergic to wheat. She doesn’t show any symptoms. Later I want to make the wheat porridge more healthy and I have prepared wheat flour mix powder with wheat flour moong dal and almonds. This powder can be stored in a air tight container and stays well for a month. After my baby turned one, I have started adding cow’s milk to this porridge.
Let’s check the recipe.
- Wheat flour mix powder - 2 tbsp
- Powdered jaggery - 1.5 tbsp (optional)
- Water - ¼ cup + ¼ cup
- Cows milk - ¾ cup ( don't add for babies under one year )
- Wheat flour - 1 cup
- Moong dal - ½ cup
- Almonds - ¼ cup
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Boil cows milk (if using) in a sauce pan and keep it ready.
- Firstly, we need to prepare the wheat mix powder to make the porridge. Measure wheat flour, moong dal and almonds in a measuring cup and keep everything ready. Then heat a pan and dry roast the almonds for five minutes in low medium flame or until it changes its colour here and there. Remove roasted almonds from the pan and transfer to a blender. Let it cool down for sometime.
- Then wash the moong dal well in running water and dry it under sun for 30 minutes or you can directly start roasting in a pan. Add moong dal in the same pan and dry roast it until it changed to golden brown. It may take five minutes. Remove the roasted moong dal from the pan and add it to the blender.
- Once almonds and moong dal are cooled down, grind it together in the blender to a smooth powder. Then sieve it with a siever and collect the sieved powder in a wide plate.
- Now Dry roast the wheat flour for five minutes in low medium flame for 5 minutes or until nice aroma comes. Then switch off the flame and add the ground moong dal almond powder to the roasted wheat flour and mix it well. Once done, cool it down and store it in a airtight container.
- Next step is to make porridge with the wheat mix powder. Take 2 tbsp of wheat mix powder in a sauce pan. Add ¼ cup of water to the powdered jaggery and boil it in a separate vessel until it melts completely. Then filter out the jaggery water using a strainer in the sauce pan with wheat flour mix added.
- Add ¼ cup of water to the wheat flour with jaggery and mix everything slowly with a whisk. Make sure that there are no lumps formed. Cook the wheat flour in medium flame until everything cooked completely. Stir it continuously while cooking otherwise porridge may stick to the vessel. Add milk now to the cooked porridge. (Skip adding milk if you are preparing this porridge for a baby under one year ). Boil the porridge until it becomes thick. Remove from flame once done and cool it down. The porridge becomes thick after cooling down. So switch off the flame accordingly.
- Skip cows milk if your baby is under one year old.
- Check whether your baby is allergic to wheat and stop feeding your baby if you find any symptoms.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- I use 24 mantra organic jaggery powder for my baby porridge’s.
- Offer this porridge plain when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any kind of sweetener at least till one year, Add very little amount than mentioned or prefer sweet tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot etc or even dry fruits like raisins or dates.