Suji Upma/ Rava upma is tasty, wholesome and comforting food for babies. It's a quick fix meal that can be served for breakfast or dinner. I usually make suji upma fluffy, to make it baby-friendly I made it creamier by adding more water. So we can call this suji upma as rava khichdi or suji khichdi. Rava or suji khichdi can be given to babies age 6 months plus after introducing basic veggies and suji.
Please refer notes section on the points to consider while preparing this for younger infants. Here is how to make rava or suji upma for babies.
Vegetables Suji Upma for Babies & Toddlers | Baby & Toddler food
Suji Khichdi- Tasty khichdi or upma with suji & vegetables. Can be served as a breakfast or dinner.
- Suji/Rava - ½ cup
- Onion - 1 small
- Tomato - 1 small
- Mixed Vegetables - ¼ cup
- Ginger - 1 teaspoon finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste not recommended for babies below 1 year
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Ghee - 1 to 2 tsp
- In a pan, roast the suji with little ghee until nice aroma comes. Set aside.
- Finely chop onions & tomatoes. Wash and chop the vegetables. Pressure cook or steam cook the vegetables until soft. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add onions along with ginger and saute it till slightly browned. Then add tomatoes & fry until mushy and raw smell of tomato leaves.
- Now add the mixed vegetables & turmeric powder. Saute the veggies for a minute. In the meantime, boil the water until rolling boil and add the boiled water to the pan carefully.
- Now add roasted suji with continuous stirring. Be careful while adding, as it might spluttering. Keep mixing until the suji gets absorbed all water.
- Cook covered the suji or rava in low flame for 5 minutes or until its cooked completely. Add ghee fried cashews if desired and switch off the flame.
Tried this recipe?Mention @gkfooddiary or tag #gkfooddiary!
1. In a pan, roast the suji with little ghee until nice aroma comes. Set aside.
2. Finely chop onions & tomatoes. Wash and chop the vegetables. Pressure cook or steam cook the vegetables until soft. Keep aside.
1. Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add onions along with ginger and saute it till slightly browned. Then add tomatoes & fry until the mushy and raw smell of tomato leaves.
2. Now add the mixed vegetables & turmeric powder. Saute the veggies for a minute. In the meantime, boil the water until rolling boil and add the boiled water to the pan carefully.
3. Now add roasted suji with continuous stirring. Be careful while adding, as it might spluttering. Keep mixing until the suji gets absorbed all water.
4. Cook covered the suji or rava in low flame for 5 minutes or until it is cooked completely. Add ghee fried cashews if desired and switch off the flame.
Serve the suji khichdi warm with a side dish of your choice!
- Skip onions, ginger & tomatoes and use pureed vegetables, Also increase more water and feed in pouring consistency if making this rava/suji upma for babies less than 8 months.
- If you want your upma to be fluffy, reduce water and cook. That's suitable for toddlers and adults.
- Don't give whole nuts for your baby as it might lead to choking hazards. I have used it for decoration purposes.
- U can replace cumin seeds with mustard seeds, urad dal & chana dal when making this for adults. I like to add those tadka ingredients in my suji upma:)
- U can use any vegetables of your choice. I used carrots & beans.
- You can make this suji khichdi without vegetables too. To make it more filling and wholesome, adding vegetables like carrot, peas, beans, etc is recommended.
- Adding salt or sugar is not recommended in baby food unless they turned one year.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing new foods to your baby.
- Always choose organic suji for baby food.
- It is mildly spiced with the above-mentioned ingredients. Add 1 green chilli if you are making it for adults.
- Skip tomato if you don't want your upma/khichdi to be slightly tangy.
Which side dish s suitable for this upma when making for toddler
It tastes great as such. Cocount chutney, sugar, sambar and curd goes well with this suji upma.
We love this recipe, have been making it for 2 years now.
glad to know, thanks for sharing your feedback
As a mom of twin baby boys, I didnt know what different varieties to feed my kids. Your blog is a lifesaver. Lots of love and thanks to you <3
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback 🙂
Is rava upma good for toddlers? My kid seems to be very uncomfortable after rava upma/ adai or poha foods... wakes up screaming in the middle of the night and refusing to go back to sleep... the night waking and crankiness seems to be there whenever I give these foods to him... please let me know if I need to do anything else to make it soothing for the stomach. He also seem to constipate on these foods. how to know if its just a phase or he is allergic to these foods?
Always add cumin seeds or hing in the savory items to ensure proper digestion. Stop the foods which are doesn't suit your little one, try after three weeks and see. And include rasam, dry ginger, ginger, cumin seeds, ajwain in the monthly menu which soothes the stomach and helps to develop a healthy digestion system.
Can we use bansi rava for a 11month old baby?