Suji Upma/ Rava upma is tasty, wholesome and comforting food for babies. It's a quick fix meal that can be served for breakfast or dinner. I usually make suji upma fluffy, to make it baby-friendly I made it creamier by adding more water. So we can call this suji upma as rava khichdi or suji khichdi. Rava or suji khichdi can be given to babies age 6 months plus after introducing basic veggies and suji.
Vegetables Suji Upma for Babies & Toddlers | Baby & Toddler food
- Suji/Rava - ½ cup
- Onion - 1 small
- Tomato - 1 small
- Mixed Vegetables - ¼ cup
- Ginger - 1 teaspoon finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste not recommended for babies below 1 year
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Ghee - 1 to 2 tsp
- In a pan, roast the suji with little ghee until nice aroma comes. Set aside.
- Finely chop onions & tomatoes. Wash and chop the vegetables. Pressure cook or steam cook the vegetables until soft. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add onions along with ginger and saute it till slightly browned. Then add tomatoes & fry until mushy and raw smell of tomato leaves.
- Now add the mixed vegetables & turmeric powder. Saute the veggies for a minute. In the meantime, boil the water until rolling boil and add the boiled water to the pan carefully.
- Now add roasted suji with continuous stirring. Be careful while adding, as it might spluttering. Keep mixing until the suji gets absorbed all water.
- Cook covered the suji or rava in low flame for 5 minutes or until its cooked completely. Add ghee fried cashews if desired and switch off the flame.
- Skip onions, ginger & tomatoes and use pureed vegetables, Also increase more water and feed in pouring consistency if making this rava/suji upma for babies less than 8 months.
- If you want your upma to be fluffy, reduce water and cook. That's suitable for toddlers and adults.
- Don't give whole nuts for your baby as it might lead to choking hazards. I have used it for decoration purposes.
- U can replace cumin seeds with mustard seeds, urad dal & chana dal when making this for adults. I like to add those tadka ingredients in my suji upma:)
- U can use any vegetables of your choice. I used carrots & beans.
- You can make this suji khichdi without vegetables too. To make it more filling and wholesome, adding vegetables like carrot, peas, beans, etc is recommended.
- Adding salt or sugar is not recommended in baby food unless they turned one year.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing new foods to your baby.
- Always choose organic suji for baby food.
- It is mildly spiced with the above-mentioned ingredients. Add 1 green chilli if you are making it for adults.
- Skip tomato if you don't want your upma/khichdi to be slightly tangy.