- Healthy Weight gaining food for babies and growing kids as its rich in natural sugars.
- Rich in calcium and iron,which is necessary for growth in babies and kids
- Loaded with Vitamin A, which helps to maintain good eye sight
- Rich in Vitamin C and E that encourages healthy glowing skin.
- High in fiber that helps to relieve from baby and toddlers constipation
- Good source of dietry fiber which helps to maintain a healthy digestive tract
- Baking – Pre heat oven for 425 degrees F. Prick sweet potatoes with small knife and place in a baking tray. Bake it for 45 minutes or until tender and the skin is wrinkled. Peel the skin once its cooled down.
- Boiling – Cut sweet potatoes into small pieces and boil it in a saucepan with water till its immersed level until soft. Peel the skin once its cooled down.
- Pressure cooking – Cut the sweet potatoes into 1 inch pieces and pressure cook it in a cooker with water till its immersed level until soft. Peel the skin once its cooled down. More details on pressure cooking sweet potatoes given in the steps below.
- Steaming – Peel and Cut sweet potatoes into small pieces and steam it using a steamer until soft. Check here for more details on steaming sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Puree for Babies | Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potato - 1 medium sized
- Butter/ Homemade Ghee - 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/8 tsp optional
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly in running water. Then cut them into 2-3 pieces depends on its size.
- Then pressure cook sweet potatoes with enough water for 2-3 whistles. Open the cooker once pressure released . Alternatively you can steam cook/bake the sweet potatoes too.
- Carefully take the cooked sweet potato pieces from the pressure cooker and place it to a wide bowl. Then Peel the skin with your hand when its warm to touch.
- Then Mash the cooked sweet potatoes well (without any chunks) with a fork and set aside. Alternatively you can puree the sweet potatoes in a mixie/blender to get fine puree. Add little water while grinding if necessary. Heat ghee in a pan and add mashed sweet potatoes along with cardamom powder (if using) to the same pan and fry them for two minutes in low medium flame.
- Switch off the flame once the sweet potato mash is mixed well with ghee. Cool it down and serve warm. Adjust the consistency by adding water/breastmilk/formula while feeding your baby.
- Select sweet potatoes with less brown spots for baby food.
- Adding cardamom powder and ghee helps in easy digestion, enhances flavor and taste ,but it is purely optional. Skip it if you don’t prefer.
- For small babies, you can puree the sweet potatoes with little water after peeling the skin using a blender.
- You can adjust the consistency by adding water/breastmilk/formula while feeding.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.