Sweet potato is high in vitamin A and beta-carotene. Apple is rich in fiber, and vitamin C. Apple & sweet potato can make an excellent choice for the first food for babies. Instead of the apple, you could use pear along with sweet potato to make this puree.
I introduced apple & sweet potato to my baby at her 6th month as separately. Once her tummy is adjusted to those purees, I combined both and offered this combination Puree as apple sweet potato puree which makes a wholesome meal. Let's check how to make this easy apple sweet potato puree for babies.
Apple Sweet Potato Puree Recipe for Babies | Baby Food
- Apple - 1 medium sized
- Sweet Potato - 1 small sized
- Water - as needed
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Wash apple and sweet potato in running water well. Then peel the skin off from apple and sweet potato with a peeler. Then chop them into equal size small cubes. Steam the chopped apple & sweet potato pieces in a steamer for 10 minutes. You can steam it with Idli steamer plate by adding a cup of water or pressure cook it with a cup of water for two whistles. For both steaming and blending, I use
- Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender
- Once the apple & sweet potato are steamed, it will be soft and transparent. Now blend it with little water to a smooth paste in a blender.
Here is the video of how to make apple sweet potato puree for baby
- Try this puree with Red delicious & gala apple variety if your baby prefers sweetness in her food.
- When selecting sweet potatoes, choose the ones with less brown or soft spots.
- You can mash it with a fork instead of blending the apple and sweet potato.
- Generally, apple /sweet potato doesn't cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Steaming is a healthy option for baby food than pressure cooking. So I prefer cooking using an Idli pot or steamer.