Sweet Potato kheer recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Sweet potato – 1 medium sized
- Milk – 2.5 cups
- Dates – 10 or Brown sugar/palm sugar – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom – 1
- Almonds – 5
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Cashews – 5
- Raisins- 1 tbsp
4. In a saucepan, take required amount of milk and add mashed sweet potatoes. Also add crushed cardamom and mix well. Then add dates almonds paste too. Now cook everything in a low flame for 10 to 12 minutes or until the kheer becomes thick. Stir it occasionally while cooking in order to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Follow steps 1,2 & 3 as mentioned above.
- Then cook the mashed sweet potato & dates paste in 1/2 cup of water for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Add nuts powder and switch off the flame.
- Once the kheer is warm add breastmilk/ formula milk to adjust the consistency. Feed your baby!
- You can use grated sweet potatoes too.
- You could use any sweetner of your choice. Dates, date syrup, Palm sugar, brown sugar etc.
- Avoid sugar for babies below one year.
- Always use whole milk to get thick kheer.
- For toddlers and adults, If the sweeness from dates & sweet potatoes are not enough, you could add little sugar.
- Skip whole cahews or raisins for small babies as they lead to choking hazard. Instead add nuts powder.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This sweet potato kheer becomes little thicker when cooled down. So switch off the flame when it is little thick.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separate before you try this sweet potato kheer to your baby.
Sweet Potato Kheer Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Sweet potato - 1 medium sized
- Milk - 2.5 cups
- Dates - 10 or Brown sugar/palm sugar - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom - 1
- Almonds - 5
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Cashews - 5
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Rinse the sweet potato well and peel the skin off. Cut them into cubes, pressure cook it for a whistle with a cup of water for 2-3 whistles in medium flame. Open the cooker once pressure released.
- Soak dates and almonds for 10 minutes in warm water and peel the skin of almonds. Set aside. Mash the pressure cooked sweet potatoes well with a fork and keep it ready.
- In a mixer grind soaked dates & peeled badams together to a slightly coarse paste by adding little water. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, take required amount of milk and add mashed sweet potatoes. Also add crushed cardamom and mix well. Then add dates almonds paste too. Now cook everything in a low flame for 10 to 12 minutes or until the kheer becomes thick. Stir it occasionally while cooking in order to prevent the bottom from burning.
- In the meantime, ghee fry the cashews&raisins and keep it ready. Once everything comes together and when the kheer consistency is reached, add ghee fried cashews & raisins. Mix well and switch off the flame once done.