Onion tomato gravy is a simple gravy made with few ingredients such as onion, tomato and spice powders. Even beginners can make this gravy with ease. It’s the best side dish for chapati/roti. It goes well with Idli or Dosa too. I used to make this when am in hurry. It’s very simple but yet tasty!
Onion Tomato Gravy Recipe | Side dish For Chapati/Roti
- Grocery Discount Coupons
- Onions - 2 large sized
- Tomatoes - 3 medium sized
- Green chillies - 2 to 3
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - a pinch optional
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely. Split the green chillies. Keep everything ready.
- Heat a pan with oil and the items to temper. Once the mustard seeds cracks, urad dal turns brown, add curry leaves. Then add onions.
- Fry the onions till it becomes transparent. After that add the tomatoes in and sauté till mushy.
- Once the tomatoes turn mushy, add red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. Mix well and fry in low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and cook covered until the tomatoes are well cooked. Then keep the flame low, cook the gravy till the desired consistency is reached.
Serve hot with rotis/ chapatis.