Let’s see the recipe.
Mutton Biryani Recipe | How to make mutton Biryani | Mutton Recipes
- Seeraga samba rice/basmati rice - 1 cup
- Mutton - 1/4 kg
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mint leaves - 1/8 cup
- Coriander leaves - 1/8 cup
- Water - 2 cups for cooking rice + 1 cup for cooking mutton
- Salt - as required
For Biryani masala
- Cloves - 1
- Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
- Cardamom - 1 small
- Sahi jeera - 1/8 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/8 tsp
- Star anise - 1 small
- Thick curd - 2 tbsp
- Green chillies - 2
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamom - 1
- Take green chilles, ginger and garlic to a mortar and pestle. Make it to a coarse paste and set aside.
- Marinate the mutton with curd, green chilli ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder and coriander powder along with little salt.
- Take all the ingredients needed to make a Biryani masala and make a coarse powder using mortar and pestle. Keep it ready.
- Slice onions, chop tomatoes finely. Roughly chop coriander and mint leaves. Set aside. Measure 1 cup of rice and keep it ready.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee & oil. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, & cardamom. Fry for a minute and then add onions. Saute them nicely until golden brown. Once onions becomes transparent , add tomatoes.
- Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and become mushy. Then add coriander leaves, mint leaves, red chilli powder,coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix them together and fry them for five minutes.Now add marinated mutton and saute them for 3 minutes.
- Add required salt. Add a cup of water and bring it to a boil. Pressure cook the mutton for 3 whistles. Open the cooker once the pressure released.
- If the gravy is watery boil it until it becomes thick. Then add prepared biryani masala powder and give a quick stir. Add washed Seeraga samba rice and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and top with ghee if required.
- Marinating the mutton is important to get soft mutton pieces.
- Biryani masala powder adds a nice flavor to the biryani. So don’t skip it.
- If using basmati rice, pre soak it for 10 minutes.
- Add a tsp of lemon after opening the cooker if you like the flavor.