Sooji Mango halwa/Mango Rava Kesari/mango kesari – tasty dessert made with sooji/rava/cream of wheat and mangoes for toddlers, kids and for the whole family. Mangoes are perfect for making desserts as it has a sweet taste and natural yellow color. We make plain rava/sooji kesari often. But last time I have tried the usual sooji/rava kesari with a healthy twist by adding jaggery and mango to it:) It turned out super good and the taste is no less than halwa/kesari made of sugar ones:)
Its ideal for babies after one year, if you want to try this mango sheera for babies less than a year, skip sweetener and make it with less ghee than mentioned. Now Let’s check how to make this sooji mango halwa recipe for toddlers and kids.
- Sooji / Rava - ½ cup
- Mango pulp - ½ cup
- Powdered jaggery - ½ cup to ¾ cup
- Homemade Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Saffron - 3 to 4 strands
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Cardamom powder - ⅛ tsp
- Cashews, raisins - 1 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash and peel the mango and collect the pulp. Remove the center seed.
- Puree the mango pulp along with saffron strands using a blender. In a thick bottomed pan, add a tbsp of ghee and fry the cashews & raisins. Remove from the pan once done and Keep aside.
- Then in the same pan, Roast sooji until nice aroma comes. Make sure the sooji/rava doesn't change its color. Remove from the pan and transfer it to a plate.
- Then add required amount of water to it and bring the water to boil. When the water starts boiling add pureed mangoes and mix well. Then add roasted sooji/rava.
- Keep stirring the sooji/rava until porridge like consistency is reached, then cook covered in low medium flame for 3-5 minutes or until the rava/sooji is completely cooked. Once the rava/sooji is cooked add powdered jaggery and cardamom powder.
- Now the halwa starts liquidized. Keep stirring in between and add the remaining ghee little by little.
- When the kesari/halwa forms a whole mass and doesn't stick to the pan, add ghee fried cashews & raisins. Switch off the flame once done.
7. When the kesari/halwa forms a whole mass and doesn’t stick to the pan, add ghee fried cashews & raisins. Switch off the flame once done.
- Adding saffron gives a nice yellow colour to the halwa.
- Adjust jaggery amount as per the sweetness of mango.
- You can replace jaggery with same amount of sugar.
- You could use broken wheat rava instead of sooji.
- When selecting mangoes, choose sweet tasting variety.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Don’t prefer whole nuts for small babies, instead add powdered nuts.