Dry Grapes/Raisins/Kismis/ Munnakka is a popular dry fruit which is a dried form of grapes. It’s loaded with essential nutrients like calcium, iron, potassium and most importantly fiber. Raisins are used for various medicinal purposes to heal digestive disorders, chronic constipation, treating fever in babies, toddlers, kids and even adults. In this post, I have given details about the health benefits of raisins, how to introduce dry grapes to babies, how to select them and the method of preparing dry grapes juice/ raisins water at home.
Health Benefits of raisins for Babies, Toddlers and Kids:
- Dry grapes/raisins are highly beneficial in treating severe constipation in babies when offered as dry grapes juice as it has high fiber content and tend to have a laxative effect. Also Check out more home remedies for constipation in babies and kids
- Raisins are excellent digestive aid which helps to reduce common digestive problems in children.
- Helps preventing early tooth decay and gum disease as raisins has anti microbial phythochemicals that reduces oral bacteria, according to one study.
- Good source of minerals which is vital for kids development.
- Dry grapes are also ideal during cold/fever which helps to recover quickly from the illness.
When to introduce dry Grapes/ Raisins for babies:
Dry Grapes/ Raisins can be included to babies diet from 6 months. When you introduce, you can give as dry grapes puree/ juice/ raisins water. Once the baby starts chewing well, you can offer mashed/crushed/ chopped raisins as finger food.
How to select dry Grapes/ Raisins :
Always choose organic dried grapes/raisins for babies which are sulfate free. You can give both black raisins and golden raisins to your baby.
- For babies below one year, you can give a tbsp of raisins. when you introduce dry grapes juice/raisins puree, give only 2-3 tsp per day at the maximum. Gradually increase the quantity to 2-3 tbsp.
- For babies above one year, you can give 2-3 tsp of raisins per day. Also its recommended to give dry grapes in the form of juice only when the child is severely constipated. Otherwise prefer mashed/whole raisins according to age.
Points to be considered while giving raisins to your baby:
- Choose organic dried grapes for baby food.
- Always rinse the raisins well before using for any baby food to get rid of chemicals if any.
- Prefer juice of dry grapes/raisins to your child only when he/she is severely constipated. Don’t add more water while preparing this juice.
- You can add pureed/ crushed/mashed raisins to any baby food as a natural sweetener.
Now let’s get on to check how to make dry grapes juice or raisins water for babies, toddlers and kids.
- Dry Grapes/ Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Water - ¼ cup
- Jaggery - ½ tsp (optional)
- Measure and take raisins. Rinse the raisins in running water well to get rid of the traces of chemicals if any. Soak the raisins in water for 4-5 hours at least or overnight.
- Once the raisins are soaked well, grind them along with jaggery (if using) in a blender with the water used for soaking. Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Strain the juice using a strainer. Serve immediately.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Begin with small amount and always serve dry grapes juice when in need.
- The soaked raisins water (after extracting the juice with your hands) can be given too instead of grinding them in blender.
- Don’t add more water while preparing this dry grapes juice.
- You can also add this dry grapes juice in little amount to any baby food as a natural sweetener.
- For babies below one year, give plain dry grapes juice without any sweetener.