Coconut milk is a nutritious, tasty, and superfood for babies and kids. The process of making coconut milk is too simple except for the grating part. The wonder liquid has a creamy texture and inherent sweetness, which makes it perfect for babies. Check here for more details on how and when to introduce coconut milk to the baby, health benefits of coconut milk, and coconut milk recipes for babies and toddlers.
Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
- Grated Coconut - 2 cups
- Warm Water- 4 cups
- Cut and open the coconut. Transfer the coconut water into a separate bowl. Now start grating the coconut using a grater. Measure and collect 2 cups of grated coconut. Transfer the grated coconut to a blender/mixer. Add in 4 cups of warm water.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the ground coconut mixture to a cheese cloth/muslin cloth/ nut milk bag/white cloth/strainer over a full bowl. I used a nut milk bag.
- Squeeze out as much coconut milk as possible. If using a filter, press it with a spoon to collect the milk.
- The extracted milk is thick coconut milk (also known as first coconut milk). Transfer to an airtight container. You can use it immediately or refrigerate as per your preference. It stays good for 2-4 days in the refrigerator. You can discard the leftover coconut pulp in the nut bag, or you can make thin coconut milk (second coconut milk) from it by adding 1 cup of warm water, blend and then strain to get the thin coconut milk.
- Fresh coconut yields more milk.
- You can use it immediately or refrigerate as per your preference. For babies and small kids, prefer freshly extracted coconut milk.
- It stays good for four days in the refrigerator.
- You can discard the leftover coconut pulp in the nut bag, or you can make thin coconut milk (second coconut milk) from it by adding 1 cup of warm water, blend and then strain to get the thin coconut milk.
- Always remember that breast milk or formula should be primary for babies until one year. So Prefer coconut milk occasionally to your baby.