Apple Rice Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Basmati Rice or any rice - 1 cup
- Apples - 2*
- Big Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Green chilli - 1 optional
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Mint leaves - a handful
- Nuts - 2 tbsp cashews & almonds
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- To temper
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves - 1 small
- Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Fenel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- * I used green apples. Any sour apple can be used
- Wash rice and soak it in water for 20 minutes. Then add water and close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three whistles.
- Slice onions, chop tomatoes finely. Slit green chillies. Roughly chop coriander & mint leaves. Set aside. Wash apples and keep it ready.
- Grate apples using a grater. Once the rice is cooked and pressure releases, open the cooker & fluff the rice with a spoon slowly. Set aside.
- Heat a pan with ghee. Add all the items to temper. Let fennel seeds crackle. Now Add nuts and ghee fry the nuts until golden. Then add onions and green chillies (if using) along with ginger garlic paste. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent add tomatoes, chopped coriander and mint leaves together. Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and become mushy. Then Add grated apples and required salt.
- Saute it well until its mixed well with tomato onion gravy. Then add cooked rice and mix well. Once everything gets mixed well, switch off the flame.
- Add powdered nuts for kids less than 2 years as whole nuts may lead to choking hazard.
- Make sure to introduce all nuts separate before you try this rice .
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this apple rice.
- You can add any sour variety apple of your choice.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.