Moong dal Khichdi is a nutrition rich lunch option for a baby. I have introduced rice and moong dal separately as rice porridge and dal water to my baby at her 6 th month. Once she is adjusted with rice and dal individually, I offered this moong dal khichdi. Try to feed small amount when you start and later you can increase the quantity.
- Rice - 2 tsp
- Moong dal - 1 tsp
- Homemade Ghee - ½ tsp
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Cuming seeds - ⅛ tsp
- Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
- Hing - a pinch
- Salt - as needed (salt is not recommended for babies under 1 year of age)
- Water - ¾ cup
- Sterilize the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Wash the rice and moong dal well in running water. Then soak them together for 30 minutes at least. Then add required amount of water, ghee, garlic, cuming seeds, hing, turmeric powder and salt in a small pressure cooker. Mix well. Close the lid and pressure cook it in low flame as possible for 6-8 whistles.
- Open the cooker once the pressure released. Mash the khichadi well with your hands or with a masher and feed your baby warm.
- Make sure the rice and dal are well cooked.
- I use homemade ghee for my baby food.
- Generally rice and moong dal doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.