Whole Wheat Jaggery Cake Recipe for Toddlers and kids - easy and healthy cake recipe made with whole wheat flour, jaggery, and nuts! I wanted to try a whole wheat cake without sugar ever since I started baking at home. I have tried a few recipes, but I found this recipe turns out perfect every time. It tastes surprisingly delicious and super healthy too:)
This whole wheat jaggery cake can be given to toddlers after one year to satisfy their sweet tooth. You can also check more healthy cake and muffin recipes for kids here.
Now Let's get on to check how to make this healthy egg-less whole wheat jaggery cake.
Whole Wheat Jaggery Cake Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup + 1 tablespoon for dusting
- Baking Soda - ¼ tsp
- Baking Powder - ¼ tsp
- Broken nuts - ¼ cup
- Powdered Jaggery - ¾ cup
- Milk - ½ cup
- Water - ⅛ cup
- Vanilla essence - ½ tsp
- Olive oil/sunflower oil/ any odorless oil- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon for dusting
- Measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Take powdered jaggery in a mixing bowl and add milk.
- Now add oil and water.
- Then add vanilla essence. Stir it well with a hand whisk until the jaggery is completely dissolved. Make sure to mix it well so that the oil gets evenly mixed.
- Once the jaggery dissolved well, filter out the wet ingredients using a strainer. Now in a bowl, take broken nuts and dust it with ½ tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
- Measure and Sieve the whole wheat flour and mix well with baking soda & baking powder. Also, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes and Dust the cake pan with 1 tablespoon of oil and ½ tablespoon of flour.
- Add the sieved dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Gently fold everything well for 10-15 seconds. Don't over mix. The final mixture should be slightly thick. Add broken nuts and give a quick stir.
- Transfer the cake mix to a round cake pan and gently tap it. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes (baking time depends on the size of the pan and oven) at 180° Celsius till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cooling in the tray for 5 minutes once done.
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Take powdered jaggery in a mixing bowl and add milk. 2. Now add oil followed by water.
3. Then add vanilla essence. Stir it well with a hand whisk until the jaggery is completely dissolved. Make sure to mix it well so that the oil gets evenly mixed.
4. Once the jaggery dissolved well, filter out using a strainer. Now in a bowl, take broken nuts and dust it with ½ tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
5. Measure and Sieve the whole wheat flour and mix well with baking soda & baking powder. Also, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes and Dust the cake pan with 1 tablespoon of oil and ½ tablespoon of flour.
6. Add the sieved dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Gently fold everything well for 10-15 seconds. Don't over mix. The final mixture should be slightly thick. Add broken nuts and give a quick stir.
7. Transfer the cake mix to a round pan and gently tap it. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes (baking time depends on the size of the pan and oven) at 180° Celsius till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cooling in the tray for 5 minutes once done.
The healthy and tasty whole wheat jaggery cakes are ready to serve!
- You can plus or minus the jaggery quantity after dissolving into milk. The color of the cake depends on the jaggery variety used.
- For small babies, finely chop the nuts or powder them to avoid choking.
- Don't over mix after adding the dry ingredients, fold them for 10-15 seconds.
- This whole wheat jaggery stays well for two days at room temperature and keeps good for four days if stored in the refrigerator.
- You could use walnuts, almonds, cashews&raisins, and any nuts of your choice or even chocolate chips.
- Mixing and measurements are most important for the perfect muffins.
- The same recipe can be tried as muffins too the baking time may vary from 20-25 minutes.
- Don't fill the cake more than ¾ th. Otherwise, it will overflow during baking.
Palm jaggery is karuppati or u used vellam?
I used jaggery here. You can use palm jaggery/ karuppati too
Can I use sugar instead of jaggery? If yes what should be the measurement?
Yes. Use 1/2 cup of sugar
Can this recipe made with eggs,?
yes you can try add 2 eggs to this recipe along with other mentioned ingredients.
Can I do this in microwave? If so, are the temperature and time same?
you can try this in microwave with convection mode.. temp and time are same
Made this quite a few times and was tempted to eat it all by myself instead of my toddler ?
Perfectly well written recipe.
Thanks a ton for adding sweetness in our lives as I will definitely keep making this for my family ?
Hi....my cake top layer became very dry.....edges also very dry.....whats wrong....pls tell me
Your cake turn dry for two reasons:
1. Over baking
2. Too much flour and less liquid
Some whole wheat flour types absorb too much liquid, in that case you have to add more milk/water than mentioned quantity. Hope it helps
I am allergic to cow's milk. Can I replace it with coconut milk ?
maybe you can try with almond milk
Is powdered jaggery different than jaggery pieces? I have jaggery that I have cut into small pieces. Will that dissolve?
powdered jaggery melts easily when you mix...if using whole jaggery, heat it with little water until its slightly thick and use..
Can I use butter instead of olive oil? If so how about the quantity?
yes you can try with 1/2 cup of butter
Hi. What about ghee? Thanks!
yes you can try with ghee too
How much does your 1 cup measure?
its 240 ml..standard US cup measurement
Can disbe made in cooker or steamer? If so time for baking?
you can try in cooker..baking time must be the same check after 35-40 mins..if the tooth pick inserts doesn't come out clean, bake it further for 5-10 mins extra
Hi, can we add flax seeds equivalent to two eggs and make this cake. Is there any replacement for baking powder? Thanks
eggs are not required for this recipe, its soft without eggs/flax seeds.. however you can try with flax seeds..hope it will not harm the cake...
baking powder is a must ingredient for this cake, and am not sure about the replacement.,,choose aluminum free baking powder if you are concerned..
Can I use ghee instead of oil?
I am not sure about ghee. You can try with butter.
I tried it with ghee (same quantity as oil) instead of oil and it came out well. I even greased the baking tin with ghee.
Tried this recipe today. Came out perfectly. My 2.5 year old liked it a lot. Camr out quite soft and spongy.
Glad your kid likes it. Thank you so much for sharing positive feedback:)
Came out well.I added chocolate powder since my kids like chocolate flavour and tweaked the recipe
Wow. thanks a lot for sharing your feedback:)
How much Butter quantity use ??
As same as oil quantity
Hi..its a lovely recipe. Works well. Just wanted to understabd why u did not add lemon or vinegar to it as we are using baking sode. Dont they go together.
Baking soda needs to be paired with an acidic ingredient to lift the cake. In this recipe, we have used baking powder which has built-in acidic ingredient. So we don't need to pair it with vinegar or lemon.
My cake turned bitter !! Donno what I added wrong. The jaggery quality or the essence 🙁
I didn't melt it...could that be a reason...
If you have added too much baking soda or poor quality baking soda, the cake may turn out bitter. You can skip baking soda and try with 1/2 tsp of baking powder next time. Also, melt the jaggery syrup.
Can we use honey as a sweetner?
If yes, what should be the amount?
I never tried baking with honey. sorry couldn't help
The recipe worked well. Thanks for sharing. I used pineapple essence and also used a stand mixer. Great recipe...
wow. great 🙂
Thank you! Cake came out great. I used vellom. My toddler loved it too!
Wow. thanks for the feedback 🙂
Hi I tried this recipe today.
After 32 mintues when I checked my toothpick didn’t come me clean so I baked it for 5 more minutes. The insides still felt a little uncooked (pasty) but now the outer had become crusty. But it still tastes great
What went wrong?
check the oven temperature if it is low. it won't cook fully. now to fix it, keep it back into the oven and cover tightly in aluminum foil for 5 to 10 mins.
How much is 180 degree celsius in W? My microwave displays from 180 W to 900 W
it should be done in a microwave oven with convection mode at 180 C or 350 F temperature
Tried this cake today with mashed banana and it came out well. Cake tastes amazing, simply melts in the mouth.
Thanks for your positive feedback 🙂
I follow your recipes regularly but I don't think in this recipe baking soda is a good option for kids. My one is going to be two but I am not sure about using soda. Any substitute ?
Without baking soda, the cake won't rise. You can skip it if you don't want to add. I will suggest adding baking soda occasionally for home baking, which is better than store-bought snacks.
7inch cake tin is sufficient for 8 person?
What should be the measurements for 8 person?With jaggery can we use dates powder.. you didn't use buttermilk, is it not required?
You can make this cake in two batches for eight persons. Or double the ingredients and make the cake.
Yes, you can use dates powder, but the sweetness will be less, and you need more water or milk than mentioned if you add dry dates powder.
Buttermilk is not required for this recipe.
Thank you! I made this cake and it was a hit! Lovely recipe. xx
Thanks for your feedback, glad it turned out good 🙂
Can we make the cake in a pressure cooker ? If so could you please mention the cooking timings ! I really wanna try this cake as it’s healthier than others.
Thank you !
1. follow the same measurements and steps as mentioned in the recipe, prepare cake batter and pour it in a baking tray
2. Add salt in d cooker and make a base...preheat for 10 mins without Whistle and gasket of d cooker
3. Then place a holder. On this holder, place the cake 2 bake.
4, Cook in low flame for 30 mins or until the cake is done ( Open and do a knife test to chk if d cake is done....)
5. Switch Off the flame and leave for 5- 10 minutes without opening...
Thank you !
Tried this yesterday. Turned out yummy betond expectations. I dnt think I am ever going back to maida cake again. When it was baking, I was too worried how the jaggery taste will turn out but the end product is amazing. Noone could believe this is a healthy cake.
I added chopped almonds and sunflower seeds, increased baking powder to 1 tsp.
Also, does thsi recipe work in a chocolate cake? If I add cocoa powder to this base, which wet ingredient do I increase in quantity to balance?
thanks for trying and sharing your feedback:) you can check all whole wheat cakes here including the chocolate ones: https://gkfooddiary.com/recipes/cake-recipes/
I tried it today...ousm recipe...taste was heavenly...Thanks a lot..
Thanks a lot for your positive feedback 🙂
It looks to be very delicious cake, but I have allergy towards essence of any flavor. Let me know if I can skip it or use anything else as a replacement for essence. I am planning to prepare this cake tomorrow, please let me know your response.
you can skip